Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Whole Body or Body Part

    I have just a quick question, I had shoulder surgery in April ( subcromular Decompression) . A Repair work at clavical. Anyway when they do a rating is that considerd whole body or body part when it comes to settlement.
    Thanks in advance. By the way im in south carolina

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: Whole Body or Body Part

    SC has scheduled disability awards, and whole person impairment ratings...both are subject to a statutory number of weeks in indemnity payments...
    What happens during the informal conference?

    The Commissioner, or more likely a Claims Mediator, will review the doctor’s report of your treatment. You will be asked if the injury limited your physical activities and the Claims Mediator will look at any scars or disfigurement left by the injury. After a brief discussion with you and the insurance representative, the Claims Mediator will recommend a settlement amount. If you agree, you will be asked to sign an agreement and you will be mailed a check for the settlement amount. You do not have to pay taxes on this amount.

    How does the Commissioner or the Claims Mediator decide how much I get paid for my injury?

    Your award is based on 66 2/3% of your average weekly pay before taxes and other deductions, up to a maximum amount set under the workers’ compensation law. This is called your compensation rate. In addition, many body parts have been assigned a value measured in weeks of compensation. For example, the complete loss of the use of an arm is valued as 220 weeks of compensation. Depending on the seriousness of your injury, the percent of disability or loss of use agreed to at the conference will be multiplied by the value of the injured body part and your compensation rate. In the earlier example, if we assume that the injured worker has an average weekly wage of $450, the compensation rate would be $300(66 2/3% x $450 = $300). The worker would receive $6600 for an injury that resulted in a 10% loss of use of the arm (10% x 220 weeks x $300 = $6600
    You can read more about the system in SC here... GUID={B0164A18-10C7-4BEE-9A40-3246B7BCF3BE}&NRORIGINALURL=/Welcome+and+Overview/faqs/&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest#inf_decide

Similar Threads

  1. Total Body Impairment vs. Body Part Impairment
    By Pearl in forum South Carolina
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 04:07 AM
  2. Where to Find 'Body Part Values'?
    By in forum Oregon
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 09:10 AM
  3. Body As a Whole
    By Teamster199 in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 06:46 PM
  4. PPD Whole Body %
    By BESTGRANDMA3G in forum Ohio
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 05:51 AM
  5. W/C Prices For the Loss of a Body Part
    By la in forum Kentucky
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 07:12 AM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Find a Lawyer