Question Extruded Disc, Disc Bulge, Herniation, Annular Tear, Spondylolsis, DDD, Fusion

What's it all mean. Is spondylolsis when you have a fracture? I have a large herniation affecting a nerve root, and all the other above, but, who knows whats hurting the most.

Who has had a fusion to tell me what happens? Does your stomach swell HUGE? can you pee? how soon till you walk around? how long cathater? constpation? cane? size of incision for a one level? What drugs do they put you on when you wake up? can you feel your legs when you wake up?

Tell me tell me please.

Default Re: Extruded Disc, Disc Bulge, Herniation, Annular Tear, Spondylolsis, DDD, Fusion

Dear GBGB

You didn't mention how you got injured and where on your spine they want to do the fusion, and alittle more details not just questions can help, i.e. level of disc effected is all these conditions in one place, etc.

Nipper

Default Re: Extruded Disc, Disc Bulge, Herniation, Annular Tear, Spondylolsis, DDD, Fusion

I caught someone from falling. I blew out my 3-4 and 4-5 discs, which were micro-d the 3-4 healed good, then reherniated largely the 4-5 that they are going to fuse soon. But with my dr, it's like, I don't just 'get' information, I gotta think of what to ask to know, and my questions are growing and growing. I heard over and over again how i'd be up and about and back to normal in no time, and I wound up bedridden for 2 months after the micro-d surgery, and still mainly now.

They are doing a from the back fusion 4-5 with instrumentation.

does everyone wear a brace? for how long? lol yes see there's another question that popped in my head.
    Last edited by GBGB; 02-19-2009 at 07:53 AM.

Dear GBGB,

Sorry I forgot I did reply once before on another post of yours, I am assuming it's your cervical area that got injured. I had lumbar surgery that they told me I would be up a walking in no time 1st day was great, went home and developed a spinal cord tear so they had to go back in a repair it and then restaple me up. After that whole ordeal the pain in both butts and legs was 100 x worse. I finally went to a different doctor whom was a neurosurgeon, we did new mri, xrays, and spect scan. End results is that they cannot operate without possibly further injury to me because of the scaring from the 1st surgery back in May, the scaring is all around and threw my spine. Have you googled some of these conditions? I have quite a few, like epidural fibrosis and archnoditis and they want to try a spinal stimulator which should help with my legs, I have questioned everyone even people on this forum and it seems a 50/50 if it will work or not. I do use a cane especially outside of my home (comfort zone) I cannot use the stairs much and showering is a bit@#. I do suggest that you do get a second opinion with a neurosurgeon if you can. Mine also found that I have cervical spine spondylosis over 4 levels in my c-spine and cannot be operated on. I too have that question "What do I look forward to in the future" I still haven't received an answer only the fact that the pain is getting worse and a week ago I had a minny breakdown, saw a therapist just nice to talk to someone whom you are not related to and get things off your chest, it releaves depression and your husband is not involved so you can say anything even if he is great, sometimes they can make you feel useless not meaning to but you can't stand it when every second they are asking are you ok? "NO I'm in pain and I am permenately disabled and it sucks". Good thing I have another appointment next week lol.

But seriously try to get the second opinion from a neuro before they go back and possibly make things worse.

Nipper

GBGB:

Spondylosis can be attributed to a number of factors, including genetics, overuse activities [ie those with hyperextension involvement]. It can occur when there is weakening of the restraining structures of the spine and can be due to congenital factors, degenerative changes, trauma and cancer. It is a defect or fracture of part of the vertebral bones called the pars interarticularis and results in slippage of one vertebral body on top of another.

Most with Spondylosis also have DDD [degenerative disc disease] which is a wearing out and drying out of your intervetebral discs. These two conditions are usually very related.

A single level can be done from the front [anterior] back [posterior] or side [posterolateral]. Google the type of approach and you will find lots of info and video's showing how it is done.

A cathedar is used and could remain in place until you are ready to discharge from the hospital.....an IV is placed in you and your pain meds are usually delivered this way until you are able to tolerate fluids by mouth and some form of food.

you will have some kind of brace on you when you wake up and it may be necessary to have a fitted brace made for you......this depends on your doctor and the type of surgery you will have.....the brace could be in place for weeks or months, again depends on your surgery and your physician.

There main goal is to get you up and moving as soon as possible.....

There is always a risk with any kind of surgery and so you should be aware of the potential complications......

Don't be ashamed or embarrassed to ask your doctor these questions....thats what he/she is there for.....

Good luck with your surgery.....

RW...
    Last edited by roofinfool; 02-19-2009 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks so much nipper and roof it's just so hard and even when you read or see about the videos on the surgery, it's not telling you how the patient truly is or is going through, it's from a doctors standpoint not saying anything like well instead of being lubed on pain meds that only sort of work for 1 day its now 3 and so on, or the physical truama to the body, my stomach was swollen for a month after my 2 level micro d. Things like that.

Thanks for all your info its helped me in my questions. Lets hope this surgery fixes things for once and I'm as back to normal as I can get.

Quote Quoting roofinfool View Post
    GBGB:

A cathedar is used and could remain in place until you are ready to discharge from the hospital.....an IV is placed in you and your pain meds are usually delivered this way until you are able to tolerate fluids by mouth and some form of food.

you will have some kind of brace on you when you wake up and it may be necessary to have a fitted brace made for you......this depends on your doctor and the type of surgery you will have.....the brace could be in place for weeks or months, again depends on your surgery and your physician.

RW...
    Real sore at 1st, Doc said don't eat solids for 3 days, neck brace is hard style and wear 24/7 for 4 months, exept I do have a 2nd brace for shower. Pain meds were great at taking pain away. Family said I was a little loopy in hospital, Ocycoden works for me(LOL) They leave the cath in till you are able to get up and pee. It's still hard to see to pee.
    Last edited by Mad Bomber; 02-20-2009 at 09:27 AM.