Default To Return to Work? Or Not to Return?

First off I like my job! I work as a sergeant in corrections. And I like the friends I work with there! Its a brotherhood! I injured my knee twice at work, restraining combative inmates at the state prison where I work. At present I am out on heart & lung benefits. At first workers comp denied my claim. But 2 months later it was accepted. So thankfully all is okay at present!
    My real dilemma is as follows. My knee is damaged from the trauma it received at work. The articular cartilage is deteriorating where it was fractured. And I`ve been diagnosed with Chondromalacia, Arthritis, and a Baker`s cyst as well. So its not going to get better. My choice is simply this. Go back to work without limitations as being healed. Or stay out and wait to settle my case down the road. My employer will not accept limitations that are not going to go away. They said that they would try to accommodate me. But my union says do not trust them at all! If I go back and have further problems they will call it a new injury and deny your claim. Its a very frustrating position! My heart says go back. But my head says don`t. What do I do???
    Last edited by will1066; 02-24-2009 at 05:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: To Return to Work? Or Not to Return?

Quote Quoting will1066 View Post
    First off I like my job! I work as a sergeant in corrections. And I like the friends I work with there! Its a brotherhood! I injured my knee twice at work, restraining combative inmates at the state prison where I work. At present I am out on heart & lung benefits. At first workers comp denied my claim. But 2 months later it was accepted. So thankfully all is okay at present!
    My real dilemma is as follows. My knee is damaged from the trauma it received at work. The articular cartilage is deteriorating where it was fractured. And I`ve been diagnosed with Chondromalacia, Arthritis, and a Baker`s cyst as well. So its not going to get better. My choice is simply this. Go back to work without limitations as being healed. Or stay out and wait to settle my case down the road. My employer will not accept limitations that are not going to go away. They said that they would try to accommodate me. But my union says do not trust them at all! If I go back and have further problems they will call it a new injury and deny your claim. Its a very frustrating position! My heart says go back. But my head says don`t. What do I do???
    My gut says listen to your head and your union.

beachgirl