Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How Do You Put a Price on Your Workplace Injury

Or more precisely, how do you calculate an acceptable settlement for an individual case? It seems to me that sometimes people arbitrarily pull a number out of thin air, like they just say to themselves, "Oh, I think my injury's worth at least a $100,000 cause I'm in a lot of pain." But there has to be a criteria out there for determining a reasonable amount you'd be willing to accept. Do attorneys generally help you with that process and if so do they generally tend to overshoot or undershoot the amount you're entitled too? Thanks.

Default Re: How Do You Put a Price on Your Injury

Quote Quoting ICF08 View Post
    Or more precisely, how do you calculate an acceptable settlement for an individual case? It seems to me that sometimes people arbitrarily pull a number out of thin air, like they just say to themselves, "Oh, I think my injury's worth at least a $100,000 cause I'm in a lot of pain." But there has to be a criteria out there for determining a reasonable amount you'd be willing to accept. Do attorneys generally help you with that process and if so do they generally tend to overshoot or undershoot the amount you're entitled too? Thanks.
    There are numerous variables that both sides (IC and IW) use to come up with figures; future medical costs, impairment rating, etc. Of course, the IC will always offer an amount that is lower than what an IW might expect and the IW usually offers an amount that an IC is not willing to pay. It is a bargaining situation with back-and-forth offers in hopes of finding an amount that is mutually benficial. And, an important fact to keep in mind, a settlement cannot be forced. It is a mutual agreement between the IC and IW.

you need basic information on florida comp benefits.

there are very precise calculations done to compute benefits.
    "Permanent Impairment Benefits: These benefits are provided when the injury causes any physical,psychological or functional loss and the impairment exists after the date of MMI. A doctor will assign a permanent impairment rating, expressed asa percentage, to the injury."
    http://www.fldfs.com/WC/pdf/DFS-F2-DWC-60.pdf

cost of future medical is less precise but easily within reasonable calculations.

Some of us have been doing this so long you can just give us your date of injury, the injury you suffered, and your impairment rating and we can ballpark it. But otherwise it's based on the amount of future indemnity and medical that could be due to you.

islaw, so your saying if a i/w gives you date ,type of injury, you can determine how much we will recieve ?

the impairment rating is critical.

Pretty much that's all we need. It's not an exact science, but based on similar cases I could give a range.

thank you ISLAW i will keep this in mind !

Quote Quoting ISLaw View Post
    Some of us have been doing this so long you can just give us your date of injury, the injury you suffered, and your impairment rating and we can ballpark it. But otherwise it's based on the amount of future indemnity and medical that could be due to you.
    Can you help me with my case? here are the details:
    date of injury: 10/10/2007
    type of injury: lower back (sciatic, degen disc)
    medical involved: mri's, meds, pain management, phys ther
    current condition now based off latest mri from 2/2009: arthiris in facet joint of lower back where injury occured.
    reached mmi already and case is about to settle.

can you help me with a figure?
    Last edited by romellorome; 06-23-2009 at 08:36 AM.

In followup to my original question:

I assumed that if you're going to need surgery and the IC is trying to settle before you have that surgery that you should try to include the cost of surgery in any settlement amount. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not that's reasonable?

Also, it's been explained to me that when it comes to WC, the amount an IC would pay for a surgery would actually be far less than what we would pay on our own, hence if that amount's going to be included in any settlement it's still not going to be that much. Case in point, I'm looking at a surgery that my research suggests costs around $80,000. I was told that actually, through WC, the surgery would only cost the IC around $7,500 so that's the amount I'd be looking at if I were to ask for the cost of surgery. But that price difference seems way too large. Any thoughts? Thanks.