Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FCE Advice

Default FCE Advice

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of:

My i/c requires me to have an FCE. I've read several instances of advice not to take pain meds beforehand. What do I say if asked have I taken my medication?

Does anyone have any links to advice regarding FCE from the patient pov?

Default Re: FCE Advice

There has been a lot of discussion on FCE's on this board... a 'search' on the topic will turn up those posts.

I've read several instances of advice not to take pain meds beforehand. What do I say if asked have I taken my medication?
    The truth usually works best. And, the therapist administrating the FCE can tell if you have taken the meds as directed... hard to pull the fast one here...

Do as instructed, the best you can to your abilities. Don't go into a lot of conversation with the PT on how your claim is progressing... or what you think you'd like to see in a settlement.

Concentrate on the reason you are there... Don't go overboard in your attempts.. and don't try to minimize your abilities...

BvIA gave good advice. Dont talk to much with the PT. I dont know the answer regarding the pain meds, but it seems to me if you take your meds, you will be masking your pain. If you have an attorney, ask them.

I had a horrible experience with my FCE, so my opinion of the FCE is not very high.. It is scary to me that somebody is going to decide what you can do for the rest of your life, by giving you tasks that last 2 minutes each.

Good luck
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world...indeed...its the only thing that ever has - Author Margaret Mead

Default Take your Meds and be yourself

Generally, The Therapist will be checking to see if you are faking or malingering your disability. Here is what the Therapist could be looking for to see if you are faking:

Waddell's Signs
    One or two Waddell's signs can often be found even when there is not a strong non-organic component to pain. Three or more are positively correlated with high scores for depression, hysteria and hypochondriasis on the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory.

Waddell's signs are:(What the Therapist is looking for to see if you are faking!)

Superficial tenderness – skin discomfort on light palpation.
    Nonanatomic tenderness – tenderness crossing multiple anatomic boundaries.
    Axial loading – eliciting pain when pressing down on the top of the patient’s head.
    Pain on simulated rotation - rotating the shoulders and pelvis together should not be painful as it does not stretch the structures of the back.
    Distracted straight leg raise - if a patient complains of pain on straight leg raise, but not if the examiner extends the knee with the patient seated (e.g. when checking the Babinski reflex).
    Regional sensory change - Stocking sensory loss, or sensory loss in an entire extremity or side of the body.
    Regional weakness - Weakness that is jerky, with intermittent resistance (such as cogwheeling, or catching). Organic weakness can be overpowered smoothly.
    Overreaction - Exaggerated painful response to a stimulus, that is not reproduced when the same stimulus is given later.

Take your Meds. I went thru a 2 day FCE 2 years ago. Be yourself.
    What is your disabilty?
    What are the Doctors saying? They must believe you are close to MMI to schedule a FCE.
    Personally, I firmly believe these FCE'S are so rigged as all WC ordered crap is.

Cannot agree with you here smackman - I went to one and the pt lied about our entire session. I had taken my pain meds as usual and even had to go to PT in the morning and one of my normal meds was for high blood pressure. This sob was so slick he put down at won point when he had me crawling on the floor on all fours a remark which I made that I was going to kill my dr. for doing this to me. He also mentioned that I knew that they had given my job away from a friend and that I was already applying for ssdi. The best part is when my heart rate didn't rise enough he put down the causes which was millingering, or due to possible pain. Released me to full work with some limitations and said that I walked out on my own bs he had to walk me out holding my shoulder to my husband. After that my dr. read what i said about killing him and just put down rtw full time as per fce.

I haven't had a good day in a month, I haven't even called any of my friends, I can only go out with a scooter, I have a post op disease that is quickly working on my nerv. syst. to the point that I can not hold or carry my youngest grand child, I cannot go up stairs with out sever pain and stopping every 3 steps, taking a shower is my morning of severe pain and when I usually colaspes to the floor when my front upper leg muscles give out. This so called dr. left me with arachoniditis,epidural fibrosis cervical and lumbar spondylosis, and post laminectomy disorder (like I had to be told that). And to this day if I ever see him again I will spit in his face.

Nipper

Many doctor's do not believe in the "Waddles Signs" as a valid test....

But you can bet defense doctors do.

Quote Quoting nipper123 View Post
    Cannot agree with you here smackman - I went to one and the pt lied about our entire session. I had taken my pain meds as usual and even had to go to PT in the morning and one of my normal meds was for high blood pressure. This sob was so slick he put down at won point when he had me crawling on the floor on all fours a remark which I made that I was going to kill my dr. for doing this to me. He also mentioned that I knew that they had given my job away from a friend and that I was already applying for ssdi. The best part is when my heart rate didn't rise enough he put down the causes which was millingering, or due to possible pain. Released me to full work with some limitations and said that I walked out on my own bs he had to walk me out holding my shoulder to my husband. After that my dr. read what i said about killing him and just put down rtw full time as per fce.

I haven't had a good day in a month, I haven't even called any of my friends, I can only go out with a scooter, I have a post op disease that is quickly working on my nerv. syst. to the point that I can not hold or carry my youngest grand child, I cannot go up stairs with out sever pain and stopping every 3 steps, taking a shower is my morning of severe pain and when I usually colaspes to the floor when my front upper leg muscles give out. This so called dr. left me with arachoniditis,epidural fibrosis cervical and lumbar spondylosis, and post laminectomy disorder (like I had to be told that). And to this day if I ever see him again I will spit in his face.

Nipper
    I am sorry for your problems. I don't quite get what you disagree with on my post?

All I gave was advice based on my FCE experience and outcome.

The OP needs to know what they might encounter and they should take their pain meds. All anyone can do is be yourself!

I disagree with what they are looking for in that list, all except for the do not talk to much. I feel that if you do take your meds it does effect the outcome. The sob whom did mine played off the fact that I am a people's person. I have been in retail mangament for many years and before an executive secretary for 5 years before all that in an engineering firm that use to make coffee/cigs/soda and ice scream machines for a 20 some odd design,drafting and production engineers all men so unfortunately that makes me basically very easy to get along with and talk to, and it was my doctor whom sent me to this crumb bum.

If had not taken my pain meds especialy my high blood pressure and yes my pain killers, which half way into I did again when I told him that they have worn off and it was time to take them again did effect my outcome. This man new all the tricks, letting me rest up to 5 min. while he would type in my reaction and other data, or whenever I started to feel real pain he would say please sit I don't want to hurt yourself. He even would stop the test a few times because he saw how much pain I was getting and never put that into the report.

I am just saying they really do not go by a set of rules, if your in a rural area as I am and getting paid extra for these reports being just a physcial therapist he or she can just put down anything they want to and it's your word against their's, so if you do not take your pain pill for just till after the end of the test the better it is that they see you as you truly are a person in pain.

Sorry for the mix up.

Nipper123

Nipper123,
    I live so far in the country they pipe sunshine in where I live.
    It was 110 miles one way to go for my FCE.

I was told to take all my Meds; I did and I kept my mouth shut and my ears open during the FCE. This was common sense to me. My motto is You have no friends with the WC System.

I admit you have to be smarter than what you are working on meaning WC is not your friend.

You seemingly per your testimony got a bad "rap" from your FCE but that does not mean all will recieve this type of treatment.

I do believe that a trained PT or OT in doing a FCE will be able to tell if you did not take your meds.
    The way you testify, It really would not have effected your outcome because this PT was going to "fail you" no matter what.

I could go thru and explain about your Heart racing or your blood pressure going up during a FCE but you are totally convinced you were screwed.

My daughter does FCE's. She went to New York years ago to be trained in this field.
    Not taking your meds would definitely be considered malingering and my daughter says she would know if you did not take your meds as told to before the FCE.

You say you got a bad "rap" and I believe you but to base every FCE outcome on your experience is not right.

The things I wrote are real and what the PT is possibly loking for. Malingering will sink anyone quick.

Quote Quoting smackman View Post
    My daughter does FCE's. She went to New York years ago to be trained in this field.
    smackman,

What a blessing it would be if your daughter would come on here and give us a deeper insight as to what to expect.

I also believe she could help us identify a bad FCE PT. Any inside info would be helpful.

RDS