Default Settlement Came Up Today.not Sure What to Expect

question for everyone...i am currently receiving 1800 a month, still payable for the next 3 years, due to an amputation. i am getting full medical care for life, including medication, for a closed head injury that has caused seizures, currently under control, and of course, for the leg, prosthetics. i have an awesome adjuster who is very helpful and has been approving everything i need and want.

the subject came up today of a settlement of future care. it came up because i was asking about a lump sum payment for the remaining monies i am getting monthly. that is not an option, she said (as did a rep at the state) but she said this settlement is. soon she will be sending an amount over for me to look at, i guess...she is talking to their lawyer.

i am curious, what could i be expecting, and what would this do to any future medical care? and if i would lose the medical care, would existing private insurance cover it, or would it be considered pre-existing? just curious!

i am currently working again, back full duty...and of course, live in az...thanks!

oh yes, i will be 36 in november of this year...

Default Re: Settlement Came Up Today.not Sure What to Expect

i am curious, what could i be expecting, and what would this do to any future medical care? and if i would lose the medical care, would existing private insurance cover it, or would it be considered pre-existing? just curious!
    A C&R/Compromise and Release is you agreeing with the IC on how much money it will take, that you will accept to walk away from this claim, and release the ER/IC from all future liability for your injury...including the medical. Over, done, nothing more.

The injury you describe has the potential need for significant costs in medical the rest of your life...and you will NOT receive enough money to cover those needs. No, you personal health coverage will NOT pay for treatment to your comp body parts.

If you take money for future medical, and knowingly permit another IC, or Medicare to pay for treatment it would be double dipping, and could be fraud.

IMHO..let the payments continue, and leave the medical open. That is what it's for, and thats the way you should use the benefits.

Default Re: Settlement Came Up Today.not Sure What to Expect

thank you BvIA for explaining it to me that way. I was not sure if the personal insurance would cover it or not. Knowing that it would not makes the choice very clear to me. Ive seen my bills in the past, and know that they top 2 million. Not having to pay a cent has made things very easy for me. I think I will keep it that way Thanks again.

Brian