Default TTD and Moving Out of State

Hello, I was injured on the job in October in Wyoming, and Broke several bones in my foot. I have been collecting Temporary Total Disability payments monthly since it happened. Due to an illness on the wife's side of my family, we are moving back to Indiana soon. I am still disabled, and still in pain, and still under treatment from the doctor I was assigned to. My question is, will I be able to continue treatment from a doctor in Indiana? My case worker was of no help whatsoever, and today when I consulted her, was very insolent and had the audacity to tell me "well maybe you just need to learn to live with the pain." I was shocked! I wasn't in pain before the accident, and I don't want to be in pain now either. I've done construction my entire life, and physically cannot do the job with the pain as it is. If I was employed behind a desk, or someplace that did not require me to be on my feet all day, I probably could have already returned to work, at least part time. But unfortunately, that is not the case, and I must play the hand that I am dealt. I need advice on what I need to do at this point. I've never dealt with workers comp before in my life, and when I went to the case worker (Betsy in Cheyenne) she made me feel like I was doing something wrong. I did not ask for this injury, and I did not ask my body to take this long to heal, and she implied basically that I was wrong and at fault, and I need to"just deal with it". I just want to be pain free, that is the only goal I have, and I would like to know if I will be able to get continued treatment when I move out of state. Any and all responses are welcome, as I am ignorant to these types of situations. Please, someone help me!

Default Re: TTD and Moving Out of State

Sure, you can move where ever you want, your claim will not be closed, if you are entitled to benefits, they will continue.

Here's a good article that explains.

I am often asked by an injured worker if they can move out of state if they have an open Labor & Industries claim. The quick and easy answer is, ‘of course’! You can live anywhere you choose. Sometimes workers relocate because of a spouse’s job opportunities. Sometimes it is a weather related choice (less rain, anyone?) Sometimes it is a desire or need to be with family. The bottom line is you can move whenever you want, for whatever reason. Your claim will not be closed, if you are entitled to benefits they will continue.
    http://washingtonworkerscompensation...-out-of-state/
    Tony
    Last edited by tony; 01-27-2010 at 01:53 PM.
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Default Re: TTD and Moving Out of State

Have you consulted with an attorney?
    My question is, will I be able to continue treatment from a doctor in Indiana?
    You have two very distinct issues here...
    One, can you move...yes. Your problem however, as you are still treating your injury, is finding a Dr in your new location to accept the reporting mandates of your home state. Out of state providers are not bound by WY laws, and the comp laws of the state you choose to move to are enough to warrant frustration with the Dr's there.

Not all Dr will cooperate with Wy in continuing to certify your need for continuing benefits. Namely, TTD.
    Also, if you are required to return to WY to attend a hearing over disputed issues in your claim... the carrier is under no obligation to pay for those trips.

IME evaluation at the request of the IC are of course paid for up front.
    Bottom line...think VERY carefully about relocating while you are TTD. You are placing yourself at the mercy of the IC. Not a good place to be when you are dependant upon those weekly checks.
    I was shocked! I wasn't in pain before the accident, and I don't want to be in pain now either. I've done construction my entire life, and physically cannot do the job with the pain as it is. If I was employed behind a desk, or someplace that did not require me to be on my feet all day, I probably could have already returned to work, at least part time.
    Two... 'pain'... the goal in WC medical treatment is functional restoration, and a return to gainful employment. That said... it is not the goal to return you to pre injury condition, OR a 'pain free' condition. LOTS of people go to work every day with some level of 'pain'. You should resign youself that this is a very real possibility in your future.

Once you are stable. you'll be declared MMI/max medical improvement. YOur condition rated for impairment/PD and the claim move to some type of resolution/settlement.

Maybe should discuss Three... IF you are determined unable to return to your pre injury occupation, you could be eligible for VR benefits/assistance. When you are out of state, your previous ER or the IC may not be liable for providing those benefits.

There is also the issue of future medical care... if you sell those benefits, you are accepting liability out of your pocket for any further care to your work injury. No other IC, or Medicare will pick up the cost of treatment.

While you are considering your option, go here http://doe.wyo.gov/Pages/default.aspx and make yourself familiar with the WY laws and benefits available...and what is not available to you.
    And, ''walk'' through the yellow pages and check a couple of WC attys....