Default Pre-Existing Conditions

Now that Insurance companies can't deny us coverage for pre existing conditions, does that mean there will be no more medical set aside?

seems to me, if I get insurance, then medi-cal won't be stuck with thw bill any longer, therefore why do they need OUR money?

Just a thought.

Default Re: Pre Existing Condition

Quote Quoting Dolphins View Post
    Now that Insurance companies can't deny us coverage for pre existing conditions, does that mean there will be no more medical set aside?

seems to me, if I get insurance, then medi-cal won't be stuck with thw bill any longer, therefore why do they need OUR money?

Just a thought.
    Hi Dolphins,

There was a discussion about it in another state...

http://www.workerscompensationinsura...ad.php?t=41088

Default Re: Pre Existing Condition

This is a discussion that will probably be around for awhile. I am not a lawyer but I can give my take on it.

I don't see how this would effect setasides. They are implemented to treat the results of an injury. The purpose is to have the responsible party pay for the medical cost. That is not negated by the passage of the health care bill.

This should not be confused with the IC not being able to deny insurance based on pre existing condition. This provision means just that. They cannot deny insurance because you have a pre-existing condition. The liablility for treatment of that condition would not necessarily shift to them. As it has stood they could deny you any coverage because you had something pre existing. This bill addresses that issue not the liability for the condition if it is the result of a work or some other injury where someone else might be liable.

By the way I have read the bill and all this talk about it's length are nonsense. Granted it is almost 2000 pages but they are double spaced and single sided. Now I agree it is boring to read and just like all legal documents it can be confusing. No more so than any other bill I have read. They all have alot of legal mumbo jumbo in them.