Default Long Time Lurker, Thought I Would Share As Well

I injured my lower back in 9/2009 and ended up having an L5 S1 Laminectomy for my herniated disc from Dr. Zoran Maric, who was given to me by WC.
    I have since changed my doctor as Dr.Maric was blatantly omitting my post op complaints from his reports and eventually just told me the pain was all in my head. I would NOT recommend him at all!
    I am still in PT and my back symptoms are returning and in some ways it is worse than before the surgery.
    I just got a letter telling me that I am going to need to go to my first IME next week with Dr.Paul Palmer at Columbia Medical Consultants.
    Anyway, that is where I am at right now, not sure if I will need more surgery or what to expect from the IME
    Any input would be appreciated

Default Re: Long Time Lurker, Thought I Would Share As Well

Welcome to the forum. Remember the IME's will "opinion" however the IC wants them to. Most of them are Whores. They will say whatever, as long as the money is right.

Good luck
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world...indeed...its the only thing that ever has - Author Margaret Mead

Quote Quoting InjuredGypsy View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Remember the IME's will "opinion" however the IC wants them to. Most of them are Whores. They will say whatever, as long as the money is right.

Good luck
    Does the IME have the final word?
    Does the report of my Therapist and Doctor have no bearing?

As far as the IC is concerned, the IME has the final say-so...
    You may have to hire a WC Attorney to fight to get your medical issues resolved... It's all about money and the IC wants to keep it...

Has your Dr talk to you about maybe getting another MRI/Mylogram to see if there has been any reherniation?

Good Luck...

Quote Quoting SHOVELHEAD View Post
    As far as the IC is concerned, the IME has the final say-so...
    You may have to hire a WC Attorney to fight to get your medical issues resolved... It's all about money and the IC wants to keep it...

Has your Dr talk to you about maybe getting another MRI/Mylogram to see if there has been any reherniation?

Good Luck...
    That is going to be the next step, i plan on asking for one on my next visitwhich is 2 days after my IME

The goal in comp is that of functional restoration, and return to gainful employment. That doesn't mean to the pre injury employer however. Any job you are capable of, even if sedentary, and minimum wage. Don't expect a return to pre injury condition.

All of your complaints/symptoms should be addressed by your treating physician. If there is no additional injury, verifiable by the appropriate diagnostics, you should be referred to a Pain Management Dr, a full evaluation and comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach considered to manage your pain.
    Back surgeries carry the highest % of failure of any surgery in the U.S. today.

The surgery you had may well have stopped/repaired any herniations, but the nerve damage is likely still causing the problem/pain. Nerve repair take a long time, about a inch per month generally, IF there is to be repair. Nothing to do from the 'outside', nothing from the 'inside', it's a wait and see. If there is no additional damage that might be 'fixable', the pain needs to be identified between subjective and objective. One carries a identifiable source/cause for the pain, the other is basically "in your head", painful alright (!!)... no doubt, but will resolve over time.

It's always the last most recent medical report the carrier will rely upon in making a decision to pay benefits. Naturally they want a Dr that provides the opinion you are no longer in need of treatment, and are MMI. With or without restricitons you should be released to return to work. IME is part of the litigation process. WC medical treatment is not like what you'd expect under your own health coverage.