Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Long for Calpers to Approve Disability Retirement

Good afternoon form

Anybody tell me how long it took for Calpers to approve your service disability retirement? They jacked me around for three months then they said they had what they needed and it could take up to six months from that date. We are at three month since then and no word.

Default Re: Calpers

Everyone would be different in the time necessary to determine the benefits you are entitled to under CalPERS participation.
    This board is WC...not CalPERS...
    There are a member of two with- Calif State experience..maybe one will be along. It's unique to Calif and the EE.

I know the board is WC not Calpers, however as one whom is being retired from service because of injuries on duty I thought I could get some help. Thanks for your reply. Between WC and Calpers taking there sweet time we are about ready to lose our home and the bank is tired of waiting for my "income" IE the reason for the post.

Never said not to post... I said there is limited infor available here regarding CalPers... ask away. Just don't expect much info.
    Between WC and Calpers taking there sweet time we are about ready to lose our home and the bank is tired of waiting for my "income"
    I'm sorry for your plight.
    If you had known on your DOI you would be "retireing" due to your work injury, you could have started that process... they are simply working thorugh the normal process. There are also state budgetary considerations here... ie the furlough situation...that in itself extends the timeframe... state EE's as you no doubt are aware are working at a 20% reduction in days, as well as wages.

WC is under the same furlough constraints... the WCAB is user funded...however someone needs to explain that to your Governor...
    I thought I could get some help.
    OH... but I wish that were to be the case...unfortunately all you can expect or rely upon from any message board is opinion... and everyone knows what that's worth. LOL

Ya thanks BvIA the whole thing sinks and is very stressful. Thanks for all your insight in other post.

Default Re: How Long for Calpers to Approve Disability Retirement

CalPers can take as little as 30 days or as long as 6 months. Much will depend on how complete the initial package is. My recommendation is to always get the packet completed, including doctors report, and hand carry it to them. Meet with a representative and go over it with them. That way you will know that everything is in. Then the only area that might delay is the employer reporting. Some agencies are not very efficient and you may need to push them. You can login at the CalPers website to check the status of your application.

From your post I am not sure how you applied. If you are age and service eligible you can apply for a service retirement pending approval of the disability retirement. Service apps generally process much quicker.

As BvIA mentiioned the furloughs could be affecting their workload. With the current economic situation they may also be reviewing the disabilty retirement applications a little closer. Just speculation on my part. I know in my area there have been some recent complaints about these from the public.
    Last edited by frustratediw; 12-03-2010 at 07:37 AM.

Talking Re: How Long for Calpers to Approve Disability Retirement

I a m a Cal PERS retiree also, because I tried to get a disability retirement three times and the WC Ins. kept stalling with the reports that Cal

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

I tried to get a CAL Pers retirement 3 times and they kept stalling, finally my attorney told me to write them a letter to change my retirement to regular retirement because we were also having a real hard time with no money. My attorney told me I already had the proof that I had tried to retire with a disability, but they kept making me wait. So I finally took a regular retirment and they sent me my money with 30 days of the retirment approval.

Unfortunately I lost my job because of my claim and we also lost our home. My claim was filed back in 2006 and it still is not resolved but I just went back to work (another employer) a month ago. It's been a long haul!

Thanks for the replies. I went back to work after neck and back surgery, modified then full duty, Fire capt on a engine, re injured twice and doc convinced me to hang up the turnouts! Doc put me on mod duty again till work could find a place for me, no job offer so I filed for disability retirement. Only had 15 yrs in so no service retirement.

There is quite a difference between your first post in this thread and #8 where the facts change significantly.
    When the facts change or come forward... there is a real opportunity for the responses to change as well...

Apparently, CalPers is still trying to determine IF you are actually eligible for a "disability" retirement. With the facts as you provide now... doesn't appear that would be possible within 30...60 or even 90 days.
    You're gonna have to just let this play out the way its going to.
    Between WC and Calpers taking there sweet time we are about ready to lose our home
    Ok...but you were injured, went back to work, suffer reinjury... etc etc etc... CalPers isn't going to work any faster that you did... and probably much slower to ensure accuracy.

OK OK I have read other threads with incomplete information and I just did the same! Your right BvIA, It is just going to take time and like everyone I have good and bad days. Just tired of the "system"