Default No School Voucher or Voc Rehab for Me

I am in the process of closing out my claim with a permanent disability rating of 71% on the pre-SB899 numbers; my injury occurred in 2003 and was P+S in that year. My question is this: can I receive any type of voucher for education? I would like to sit for the CA CPA exams, but the cost of the review school exceeds $3000 dollars. My PD benefit with what I am making in the work force just covers my bills with nothing left over. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: No School Voucher or Voc Rehab for Me

No VR... unless you had a award by WCAB judge on the issue of VR prior to Dec 31/2008 (as I recall, VR was termed out as of Jan 1/2009) you are not eligible for VR services.
    As you were P&s/MMI in 2003, your PTP or AME should have determined if you were a QIW/Qualified Injured Worker at that time, and VR addressed.
    All you are entitled to at this point is the indemnity benefits associated to the 71% PD rating, life pension once the PD is paid out, and access to future medical care.

There is a case law regarding vested rights to VR...http://www.dir.ca.gov/wcab/EnBancdec..._ADJ347040.pdf
    my injury occurred in 2003 and was P+S in that year
    It would be too late at this point anyway. There are specific time frams to request VR services, VRMA/Voc Rehab Maintaince Allowance, if those date pass...you would be SOL to VR.

Check with the student services office at the facility you are thinking of using. Student loans, grants, scholarships etc may be worth your while to investigate.

benefits are determined by the laws in effect on your date of injury unless it's been legislated otherwise.
    voucher law was not made retroactive and does not apply to 2003 dates of injury.

Do you recieve SSDI? If so, check out SSA's Ticket to Work Program.... http://www.rehab.cahwnet.gov/eps/ticket.htm couldn't hurt to just ask...