Default Amputation of Middle Finger

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: North Carolina

Hello fellow injured workers, etc:
    I injured my middle finger on my left hand with a planer. I am receiving my rating on July 20th, 2011. Just curious as to what my rating may be. The ER surgeon told me i lost an 1/8 inch of my bone and i also have no feeling in the tip of my finger. The insurance physician said it will be numb for some time. It looks as if it is half an inch shorter than my other middle finger. Also how do i calculate my rating? I know an injured finger is worth 40 weeks of the AWW. I am only making roughly $600 per week. Hope someone can give me an estimate as I can really use the money ASAP. And also how long does it take to receive the PPI lump sum award?

Thanks All-

Default Re: Amputation of Middle Finger

Also how do i calculate my rating? I know an injured finger is worth 40 weeks of the AWW. I am only making roughly $600 per week.
    Only a Dr can calculate a PPD rating... not an IW...
    Only if you were rated at 100%/complete loss of the finger would you receive the full 40wks.... if you are rated at ie. 25%, you'd be eligible for 10 weeks... at your TTD rate.

Sorry, but not a good idea to compare what other IW's have been rated, even for the same loss... every one would be unique in that aspect, you aren't paid benefits based on the type of injury, or amount of treatment provided, but for loss of earning capacity, or ability to compete in the open labor market...that's why fingers aren't really rated high, or the number of weeks excessive.

You're gonn have to wait for that rating to issue. And, you cannot count on a cash lump sum payment... the ER/IC is free to pay out the indemnity in weekly benefits.

PPI-Rating
    The ER surgeon told me i lost an 1/8 inch of my bone
    (1) Amputation of any portion of the bone of a distal phalange of a finger or toe at
    or distal to the visible base of the nail will be considered as equivalent to the loss of
    one-fourth (1/4) of such finger or toe.
    (2) Amputation of any portion of the bone of the distal phalange of a finger or toe
    proximal to the visible base of the nail will be considered as equivalent to the loss

of one-half (1/2) of such finger or toe
    http://www.ic.nc.gov/ncic/pages/form25r.pdf

Also how do i calculate my rating?
    Looks like you would have a 25% loss of the finger - 10 weeks.

Just a guesstimate..
    Here's some info that may be of help or at least give you a headache.
    http://www.ic.nc.gov/ncic/pages/comprule.htm

Take Care
    Tony

Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate the feedback.