Default Carpel Tunnel

i have had 2 cervical fusions. can anyone thats had the same tell me if they have gotten carpel tunnel from this, or can you get this.

Default Re: Carpel Tunnel

Possibly. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is caused by an irritation, strain, or impingement of the median nerve. This nerve passes through the wrist (from the thumb) and up the arm into the neck. Most cases of carpal tunnel are isolated and the effects rarely pass above the mid-forearm.

The median nerve, however originates from C6 to T1, which are the roots that are most commonly compromised by intervertebral disc protrusions and cervical spondylosis. When this occurs, the median nerve can be compromised and the effects can radiate into the carpal tunnel and have the same effect as if the median nerve were impinged at the wrist.

When there is neck involvement and symptoms of carpal tunnel, this is often referred to as a "double-crush" syndrome.

thank you for the reply. i have had c-3 thru c6 removed and replaced. every since then my hands hurt so bad. the doc,s say its cpt. but i have to get a doc to say its from my neck injury. to be a consequential. could a neurology doc do this?

Quote Quoting lucia1 View Post
    thank you for the reply. i have had c-3 thru c6 removed and replaced. every since then my hands hurt so bad. the doc,s say its cpt. but i have to get a doc to say its from my neck injury. to be a consequential. could a neurology doc do this?
    Since it does involve nerve damage (not unusual in any cervical or spinal fusion) a neurologist would probably conduct a doppler nerve test, to determine the source of the carpal tunnel.

thank you, this does give me some doors to open.