Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Post Concussion Syndrome

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: PA

I was diagnosed with PCS by my family doctor and followed up with a neurologist who made the same DX - I was in a work related auto. The work doc made notes of this in his initial dx 2 weeks after the accident but I did not receive this listed on the form from WC - The neuro doc basically is treating this with meds which I dont really want to get hooked on but offered no other alternatives. They do not take WC ins so I am paying for it - Does anyone out there have a similar situation and can point me in the right direction for treatment.

In addition - I was told I had to sign a release for hippa to be seen as well as a release for something I never heard of which was a release for the neuro to retrieve all prescription history from whenever\wherever? The document was not a document I physically saw but the new method which I hate, The receptionist blurts out a sentence or two saying what it is and then says sign the electronic signature pad so you do not even see the document you are signing?
    Last edited by jinga; 11-04-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Default Re: Post Concussion Syndrome

You should not be paying for medical treatment if this is a WC claim. You should have been provided with the "pink sheet" (panel of Doctors) by the Employer. You should also not be signing ANYTHING unless you receive a copy of it to review first.

Seriously, you are in dire need of an attorney at this point. You've got to see the games being played on you already, and they'll only get worse.

What part of PA are you in? M panel Dr. has a neuro that comes into his office to see patients almost every Fri. I was having giant migranes after my fall in which I have back, leg and neck problems as well as hitting my head with loss of conciosness. I too have post concussive syndrome. Believe it or not, PCS can take months and sometimes years to heal. You will first need to talk to an attorney. Then you need to call you employer and ask for the list of Dr. to see. If those Dr.s on the list are too tar away, you can ask for an alternate list for your area. If they do not have that, you may then call around and see who takes WC (not necessarily your specific carrier) and go to them. The next call is then to your Claims adjuster to find out your claim number to give to the Dr. and pharmacy for treatment and meds. This is the very last communication that you will have with your employer and claims adjuster until your attorney says so. You may ask this panel physician if you can continue to see the neuro that you have been seeing (but seeing as he doesn't take WC as payment I say go to one that does). If you are near the Philly area, I have a great neuro that takes WC (and doesn't take sh*t from the IC). Stay tuned....question everything and get things in writing when you aren't sure. Did you ask for a copy of the "signed" form? I'm sure that the computer that the Esig is hooked up to has the capability to print out a copy.

The problem with a MVA/auto accident, and combined with WC is the medical treatment. In a MVA, you are entitled to a much higher level of care, basically anything nececcary to treat your injury, with the Dr holding the presumption of correctness to the care... when WC becomes involved, the MVA/PI lets the WC carrier handle the treatment as WC can control the level of care to what is "medically necessary" only reasonable to "cure or relieve from the effects of your injury".
    PI, you are entited to medical care to "make you whole"... WC, only to a point of stability or MMI, and return to work.

Get yourself an attorney to handle the PI, and one for the WC.

I did call adjuster - I was given a few neuro's in my area. I will be calling - Does the PCS need to be listed on the form you get from WC? I am working on getting an atty but havent had the mental where with all to make sure I am not getting someone who is just in it for a settlement - and then I get SCREWED. I know an auto claim will need to settle but how can you determine when this will get better or if you may have pro longed symptoms. I called the neuro office and the receptionist said what i signed was a look-up pharmacy service that can show all the scripts you have been prescribed but wasnt sure how far back it went. I thank everyone for the replies- I would really like to hear more from people who have had PCS and what all they are or had to deal with and how long it took them to get better.

Quote Quoting jinga View Post
    I am working on getting an atty but havent had the mental where with all to make sure I am not getting someone who is just in it for a settlement - and then I get SCREWED.
    All attorneys are in it for a settlement, eventually. They get paid based on what they get for you. Most states have limitations on what percentage the attorney gets, and some States have laws that determine the attorney fees, based on how much the settlement is, but not based on a flat percentage.

I know an auto claim will need to settle but how can you determine when this will get better or if you may have pro longed symptoms.
    You don't, and neither does anybody else. Every person is different, and every "condition", "illness", "symptom", and "injury" is different.

Legal,

Does the DX PCS need to be listed on WC docs I receive - or the term concussion? I assume the symptoms I am having will get better at some point - the medical at this point is getting covered by WC ins

Quote Quoting jinga View Post
    Legal,

Does the DX PCS need to be listed on WC docs I receive - or the term concussion? I assume the symptoms I am having will get better at some point - the medical at this point is getting covered by WC ins
    Technically, I would hope that the diagnosis would be officially entered on the record, but that's hard to say. We don't have your file here on the forum, so it's difficult to make a rational assessment as to what is, and what should be.

If you go to the Panel Physician and he diagnosed PCS and IF you haven't recieved your Temporary Notice of Compensation Payable or Notice of Compensation Payable....then most likely the PCS will be on there. If it is not then you do need to get an attorney pronto... there are time constraints on adding compensable injuries to the NCP (the NCP lists the injuries that warrant treatment and whether they will pay for them or not}. Where in PA are you? I have a great attorney that is ethical and will actually listen to the IW. oh yes and when he is in his office, he will answer his phone and if he is not, he WILL call you back. He went over and above for me. Private message me if you don't want to make your location public.

I did get the temporary notice for cervical, no mention of pcs - I went to work doc to get nots and it was listed in his notes