Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Doctor Released Worker to Drive Without First Informing the Worker

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of Oregon: I was approved for a lumbar strain, which is not the case. I have a hurniated disc my L5-s1. I'm on light duty, well my boss called me to the office and told me that my doctor had released me to drive my personal vehicle. I was NOT aware that I was deleased. I found out that my boss went to my doctor and aske how I was and what was going on with me and what his planes were. Doctor said the only thing that was said to boss was I was seriously injured. Well he did give her the release for me to drive. Is this legal? And how is it that my doctor gives my boss a release for me to drive before I even get told about it? Why does boss know before me????

Default Re: Help

Quote Quoting Unknow View Post
    My workers compensation claim was made in the State of Oregon: I was approved for a lumbar strain, which is not the case. I have a hurniated disc my L5-s1. I'm on light duty, well my boss called me to the office and told me that my doctor had released me to drive my personal vehicle. I was NOT aware that I was deleased. I found out that my boss went to my doctor and aske how I was and what was going on with me and what his planes were. Doctor said the only thing that was said to boss was I was seriously injured. Well he did give her the release for me to drive. Is this legal? And how is it that my doctor gives my boss a release for me to drive before I even get told about it? Why does boss know before me????
    yes it is legal for your doctor to advise your employer of your work restrictions including those that involving driving a vehicle.
    you can request a change of physician.

Where you ever under any medical restrictions NOT to drive...?
    Is this legal? And how is it that my doctor gives my boss a release for me to drive before I even get told about it? Why does boss know before me????
    "Is this legal"... always difficult to answer. For something to be legal/illegal, you need a law, and not every issue is covered by a "law" defining the action one way or another.

Did you ask your Dr if you could drive your personal vehicle?...IF you were in fact told not to due to your injury ?

I was told not to drive my personal vehicle due to my injury. Then my boss went into my doctors office and prceeded to ask questions about what kind of injury I have and what the doctors planes are for treating my injury. And then boss asked about me driving my vehicle cause they have I take me to and from work. It was the end of the day and boss tells me that doc said I could drive my personal vehicle and I didn't hear or get a paper releasing me to do so, boss gave me the release paper. How is it legal for boss to go to my doctor and ask what kind of injury I have and what his planes are? Boss said to doctor that I look just fine. I have a hurniated disc my l5-s1

How is it legal for boss to go to my doctor and ask what kind of injury I have and what his planes are? Boss said to doctor that I look just fine.
    Anyone can ask what ever they want.. legal or not. (and asking is not illegal), but you haven't said the Dr actually provided any medical information... so, HIPPA has not been violated.

IF the Dr had released medical info to your boss, and s/he did not have legal right to the ifno..then you would possibly have a case against the DOCTOR with EEOC/HIPPA.

Don't know what you are so upset about here... you have a job, are working... now you can drive yourself.
    WAS the recommendation not to drive your personal car IN WRITING ?

Default Re: Doctor Released Worker to Drive Without First Informing the Worker

From what the doctor told me, doc didn't say anything more than that I was seriously injured and that yes I could drive my personal vehicle. My injury is not better and it has not got worse, from what we can tell. (I'm on pain medication. I'm a little upset because my boss went to my doctor and try and get info on me and about my
    Injury. Boss thinks I'm faking it......which I AM NOT! And kinda upset cause my boss was the one that told me I was aloud to drive and not my doctor. I didn't think it was right that my boss went behind my back and trying to get all my personal information from my doctor. And i didn't know if the release was real or not, cause if it wasn't and I did drive my boss could have screwed me on my workmans comp.

I didn't think it was right that my boss went behind my back and trying to get all my personal information from my doctor.
    Right...wrong ,or indifferent... there is no law that prohibits asking... there is a law that prohibits releasing medical records.

you still did not say the Dr put the driving restrictions in writing. (?)
    Saying you should not drive is not the same as putting it in writing.
    And....there may be legal issues with your driving with the state IF the restriction was in writing.

If you get caught driving on pain meds there would be a problem.

Ok so my injury happened 5-17, I told my supervisor as soon as it happend. It was my Friday when it happend when my Monday rolled around I was in allot of pain, I called my supervisor and told them that I NEEDED someone to cover my shit due to the pain(I was crying from the pain while on te phone) I was told there was absolutely no body to cover for me, so I worked my shift for two and a half says until the "big" boss came in and saw me and the cost ion I was in and asked what happend, I told what had happend and it was on the job and boss told me to go to doctor now, an that me working could have made it worse. I explained why I was still working and was told that I shoul not have been working. Went to the doc they did an MRI two days later and there it was, hurniated docs and all! Doc saif in writing NO driving until back was stable. I'm still in the same condition as I was when this all happend. Boss go's in an talks to my doc an all of a sudden I'm allowed to drive my personal vehicle. I will NOT take my pain meds while I drive to work, I will be allowed to take 1 pill at work that way it is wore off by the time I have to drive back home

I am sorry you have to work while you are in so much pain. In my experience one only gets worse if they don't have a chance to heal first and then you finally do have to take time off. You probably have difficulty attending to your own daily needs after being forced to go in to work in your condition. It's just not right.