1. WC recd. an order telling them what they were to pay me weekly while I was out with injury.
2. WC filed something disputing the amount. They only paid me the amount "they" believed they should pay weekly.
3. I got a WC lawyer. He said he would make sure they paid me the correct amount. He never told me what his fee would be and I was under the impression he was paid by WC.
4. The lawyer had personal problems and persuaded me to give him several months to deal with this problem. I did.
5. The lawyer's need for time dragged on...for 15 months.
6. Today we reached an out of court settlement with the insurance company.
7. My lawyer presented me, for the very first time, a document stating that he was entitled to 10% of the amount of back pay that was owed to me.
I was never concerned about how long it took to get the weekly rate settled, because I knew they had to give me the back pay once it did get settled. Had I known that each week that passed entitled my lawyer to 10% of MY WAGES, I would have insisted that it be settled immediately. I have been under the impression that the lawyer is paid through some state program associated with WC.
Please advise! All information is much appreciated.