Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Do I Really Need an Attorney

Ok..wow. What a difference a few days makes when dealing with WC. I now know the answer to whether or not I need an attorney. The answer is yes, and I have retained one. After getting two wc checks, 1 cortisone injection, and beginning a physical therapy program, I just received a controversion notice. They are disputing the extent of my temp/perm disability which befuddles me because I had an MRI which shows the occult undersurface tear of my lateral meniscus as well as chondromalacia (I-II). Its not my opinion (or anyone elses for that matter) what my injuries are, and it seems they would be a matter of clinical fact based on the MRI. Outside of that I have simply been candid about my symptoms which are on par with what the test shows. So why are they doing this now? They are causing me undue financial hardship by stopping my benefits. I haven't heard back from my attorney yet in response to this but based on the info given can anyone see where this thing might be headed?

dolph
    So why are they doing this now?
    Not to be cute but because they can, these guys have nothing to lose.
    They might as well give it a shot and see if they can save a few bucks.
    They could care less about the hardships they cause you, sometimes I think these so called people must be machines.

I haven't heard back from my attorney yet in response to this but based on the info given can anyone see where this thing might be headed?
    To the OWCP (Office of Workers’ Compensation ) for a decision.
    http://www.dol.gov/owcp/owcpcomp.htm

If you disagree with their decision, you have one shot at an appeal with the The Employees' Compensation Appeals Board (ECAB)
    There is no further administrative or judicial appeal of ECAB decisions.
    http://www.dol.gov/ecab/welcome.html
    http://www.dol.gov/ecab/appeal-info.htm

20 CFR Part 501 - RULES OF PROCEDURE
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/20/501

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Thanks Tony. LOL at thinking I once actually believed I was a "valued employee". First no santa claus, now this! Life's full of surprises...

YOU NEED AN ATTY from the minute you file a claim. I went through first 2 1/2 months without one. I contacted 4 of the supposed best Longshore / DBA atty's and they all told me "as long as everything is going good, then you don't need us"....because the insurance company was being very cooperative, or so it seemed.......

They in fact was just strining me along to pull a low down legal trick that I am now going to have to probably fight in court.

I finally got an Atty on retainer 2 weeks before the insurance pulled their "bait and switch".....but even this has been a headache. They are supposed to be one of the best in country, but it's been 2 1/2 months now since they were retained and getting info from them is like pulling teeth. Everyone seems to benefit from these situations, EXCEPT those that are hurt!

Quote Quoting tony View Post
    Attorney's work on a contingency, no win no pay.
    Although you may not have problems at present, you will before it's over.
    It's best to retain a lawyer before there's problems, it keeps the carrier honest and protects your rights.

Don't play with it, hire a lawyer.

Tony
    You really need attorney, wc abuse you if you don't have attorney. I am happy with my so far.

I was same I was getting paid then day by day things were getting ugly with wc agent and their doctors, I am glad I hired attorney and you don't have to have attorney from same state. Attorney will send you to right doctors those never work for WC. I am so far so happy with my attorney.