Default I Don't Trust This Part

Hello everyone! I am trying to find a way to understand this process at this point in my worker's compensation case under the state of Rhode Island. A little details about this case before I drop the big question. I have been on workers comp for over a year and a half and I'm now in the stage of trying to receive money for scars then supposedly the big "settlement" will be coming in. Ok now the big question I'm wondering if there is any way my Attorney could "take me for my money" by not telling me the right amount of how much I am getting. Also, wondering how I could find out for myself how much I am owed by any other means other than my attorney who has been giving me "shady" issues in the past. Any good advice would help and I will include more details if anyone here needs. I might be also just imagining the worst so excuse me if i'm wrong about potentially being screwed by my attorney. I want to receive all the money that's owed to me but how do I know It is the right amount that my attorney is telling me? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: I Don't Trust This Part

FerociousSloth
    I'm wondering if there is any way my Attorney could "take me for my money" by not telling me the right amount of how much I am getting.
    No, that would be impossible.
    All settlements and attorney fees are approved by the court, you will receive a copy of the judgment.

Also, wondering how I could find out for myself how much I am owed by any other means other than my attorney
    You can't, scarring settlements are determined by the Workers' Compensation Commission, there is no set figure.
    They base the judgment on the degree and location of the scars and the effect it will have on your future earning capacity.
    No one will know the exact figure until the Commission makes the ruling.

Disfigurement Benefits
    Rhode Island law covers disfigurement that is "Permanent bodily". Benefits are proper and equitable compensation determined by the Workers' Compensation Commission, for a maximum period of 500 weeks.
    http://www.dlt.ri.gov/wc/
    http://http://www.dlt.ri.gov/wc/maxcomprates.htm

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.