Default Insurance Company Wants Me to Attend an Out-of-State Pain Management Program

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: Utah

I was injured in June, 2013. Most recent MRI shows 3 bulging discs with one tear. I have had several injections from my PM Dr. and a few weeks of physical therapy with minimal improvement. Today, the NCM called and said that they were thinking about flying me out to Houston for a week at a time for "Pain Management" so I can get off these medications. This made me pretty upset because I would rather try to find a solution for the problem FIRST. Why are they doing this? I feel like I have absolutely nothing to gain right now from stopping my medications except for making my life even harder, especially because I have no support system and I have a toddler to care for, who I can't leave here and I can't take him with me because the last time he flew on a plane he started showing signs of anaphylaxis from the peanuts (even though no peanuts were served on our flight) and we had to take him to the E.R. Can't leave him here, can't take him with me, can't endure that kind of travel, don't want to go. I have sent messages to a couple of lawyers for advice but I was wondering if anyone had been through this or heard of it? I'm in Utah.

Default Re: Ic Wants to Make Me Fly to Houston for a Week at a Time

I can't take him with me because the last time he flew on a plane he started showing signs of anaphylaxis from the peanuts (even though no peanuts were served on our flight) and we had to take him to the E.R. Can't leave him here, can't take him with me, can't endure that kind of travel,
    See Ut Admin Code R612-300-2
    3. If the requirement of subsection A.2. are met, an injured worker subject to a preferred provider program must seek initial medical care from a preferred provider unless:
    a. No preferred provider is available;
    b. The injured worker believes in good faith that his or her medical condition in not a workplace injury; or
    c. Travel to a preferred provider is unduly burdensome.
    http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/c...612-300.htm#T2
    In other words you are not required to abide by the "Right of payor to designate initial health care provider" if you can show it's "unduly burdensome."

the NCM called and said that they were thinking about flying me out to Houston for a week at a time for "Pain Management" so I can get off these medications.
    You need to lawyer up, this NCM shouldn't be interfering in your treatment plan.

Also, you are not required to travel between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., unless approved by the Commission.
    See UT admin code R612-300-8
    2. Travel may not be required between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., unless approved by the Commission.
    http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/c...612-300.htm#T8

Breeze through your states rules to get acquainted with your rights.
    http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r612/r612.htm

Consult and hire a lawyer immediately, you're being bullied.

Tony
    Last edited by tony; 01-22-2014 at 09:18 PM.
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.