Default Jessica's Law - (for Jessica Heeringa)

HEERINGA FAMILY CREATES PETITION
    The Heeringa family has launched an online petition to get some action in Lansing on "Jessica's Law". The bill would require a second employee on 3rd shifts or security cameras in businesses like gas stations. The petition claims the bill has stalled in committee.

Petitioning State Rep. Frank Foster 2
    To request a hearing on Jessica's Law - (for Jessica Heeringa) Bill 5189 - Michigan

Jessica Heeringa, 25 years old, Mother of a then 4 year old son, has been missing since April 26th from the Norton Shores area. She was last seen at the Exxon Mobil gas station located at 1196 E. Sternburg Rd., Norton Shores, MI.

The gas station where she worked at had NO CAMERAS, and she worked alone. IF there would have been camera's installed there would have been video footage of who abducted Jessica and caught whoever had done this to her. Norton Shores Police Department recommended the owner a few times in the past to have them installed, but the owner did not do that, trying to "save money", rather than to "save a life"!! A life is priceless!! And no one should work alone. Especially at night.

Now, Representative Frank Foster Michigan District 107 does not want this law to happen and does not want a hearing on Jessica's Law and wants this all to go away! Well, we are NOT going to go away! I will NOT have one person or a couple of narrow minded people stop this law from passing!! I mean, why would you??

I think if this was Representative Frank Foster's daughter who was kidnapped, he would want a bill like this passed through, however, he declined to have a hearing on this. So now "Jessica's Law" is at a stand still.(Here is a link to the Bill 5189: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2013-HB-5189)

I have been working with Collene Lamonte 91st District to get this law passed.

Per Collene Lamonte's email to me was: "We are continuing to gather endorsement and letters of support, however, the Chair of the Commerce Committee is not willing to have a hearing because of the Michigan Chamber of Commerce's opposition to the bill. I will continue to have conversations with him. Anyone who wants to email or call Representative's Frank Foster's office and let him know that you want this bill to have a hearing would be helpful. Thanks for checking in, but unfortunately, there's not much progress I can report."

Please sign this petition and PLEASE PLEASE share it AND also, contact Frank Foster and let your voice be heard!!

WE NEED TO HAVE A HEARING ON THIS BILL!!

We need to speak up for Jessica and for anyone else who may have had this happened to AND to prevent something like this from happening again!! Jessica Heeringa could have been your own daughter, grand daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend.

We need to SPEAK UP!!

http://www.change.org/petitions/stat...s_dialog_false

********************JUSTICE FOR JESSICA************************

PLEASE SUPPORT JESSICA'S LAW AT:
    https://www.facebook.com/JessicasLawJusticeforJessica

Please, anyone and everyone sign this petition and assist in getting this law passed
    No one should work alone at night without cameras anywhere, let alone a gas statation

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Default Re: Jessica's Law - (for Jessica Heeringa)

Done thanks for the heads up!

This is the two year anniversary of the disappearance of Jessica Heeringa, I'm updating this thread to keep the story alive.
    Here's the latest info on the Bill.

JESSICA HEERINGA ACT: OVERNIGHT SECURITY
    AT GAS STATIONS AND CONVENIENCE STORES
    House Bill 5189
    Sponsor: Rep. Collene Lamonte
    Committee: Commerce
    Complete to 11-10-14
    A SUMMARY OF HOUSE BILL 5189 AS INTRODUCED 12-11-14
    The bill would require the owner or operator of a convenience store or gas station to
    ensure that, between the hours after 11 p.m. and before 5 a.m., at least two employees are
    on duty at all times or, if there is only one employee on duty, that there is a security
    camera system in good working order operating continuously at all times.
    A violation would be a state civil infraction carrying a civil fine of not more than $200
    per infraction.
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...9-8AD851C9.pdf

I can't believe that for something as important as a tool to aid in the security of overnight employees, the fine would be a measly $200.00 for non-compliance.
    I would like to see the fine raised to $2,000.00 for the first offense, we are talking about endangering the lives of night employees, it should be a felony.

In todays world, you can buy a 2 camera security system for $249.00 that meets the requirements of this new law.
    Lorex Model # LW2742 Wireless 4-Channel VGA Surveillance System with 2 Weatherproof Bullet Cameras and 7 in. Monitor with SD Recording
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lorex-Wir...3?N=5yc1vZc20v
    If an employer thinks the lives of his employees isn't worth that - he should get out of business or be put in jail.

According to the Michigan WORKER'S DISABILITY COMPENSATION ACT OF 1969 - the employer may be held liable if an employee is injured because of a deliberate act of the employer.
    18.131 Exclusive remedy; exception; “employee” and “employer” defined.
    Sec. 131.
    (1) The right to the recovery of benefits as provided in this act shall be the employee's exclusive remedy against the employer for a personal injury or occupational disease. The only exception to this exclusive remedy is an intentional tort. An intentional tort shall exist only when an employee is injured as a result of a deliberate act of the employer and the employer specifically intended an injury. An employer shall be deemed to have intended to injure if the employer had actual knowledge that an injury was certain to occur and willfully disregarded that knowledge. The issue of whether an act was an intentional tort shall be a question of law for the court. This subsection shall not enlarge or reduce rights under law.
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...me=mcl-418-131

In my opinion, any employer that deliberately (intentionally) refuses to install a security camera and then requires an employee to work alone at night - is intentionally and deliberately endangering the life of that employee and should be held accountable
    Let's pray this case has a positive outcome, Keep Hope Alive, never give up.
    God Bless the Heeringa family, we'll keep you in our prayers.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

We're coming up on the three year anniversary of the disappearance of Jessica Heeringa, a mother of three who disappeared without a trace while working the night shift at a local gas station on the evening of April 26, 2013.
    Someone out there knows something, humans don't just disappear.
    I strongly encourage anyone who has knowledge of this incident to come forward, it's time for justice!

NORTON SHORES, MI.
    Jessica Heeringa's disappearance approaches three years, and still no trace.
    As another sad anniversary approaches, Jessica Heeringa's family forges on with heavy hearts and constant worry about what happened to the missing young mother.
    Her son, just 3, when his mother disappeared three years ago, lives with Heeringa's sister and is now a kindergartner.
    http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/i...appearanc.html

Again, our heart and prayers go out to the family, we'll continue to pray for a positive outcome - never lose hope.

God Bless The Heeringa Family
    Tony

I've just learned that this case has turned for the worse - what a tragedy!
    Today murder charges have been filed against a monster who is charged with other murders and kidnappings.
    I was really praying for a positive outcome, I feel so sad for her family and child.

Jeffrey Willis charged in kidnapping, death of Jessica Heeringa
    Muskegon County prosecutors have announced charges against Jeffrey Willis in the kidnapping and murder of Jessica Heeringa, who vanished from her job in western Michigan more than three years ago.
    Heeringa, 25, was working at the Exxon Mobil gas station on East Sternberg Road in Norton Shores on April 26, 2013 when she disappeared.
    Kevin Bluhm, Willis' cousin, was also charged with accessory after the fact in connection with Heeringa's disappearance.
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...case/90729416/

Again, our hearts and prayers go out to the Heeringa family - you are not alone, we share in your sorrow.
    God Bless

Tony