Default Divorce and Worker's Compensation Settlements

I'm new here And I have a question that I hope someone has an answer for. I am on social security disability because of work injury's. My wife and I are separated and going to get a divorce. My settlement came after I moved out. Would I have to give her half of it.

Default Re: Divorce and Settlement

Quote Quoting Jhon View Post
    I'm new here And I have a question that I hope someone has an answer for. I am on social security disability because of work injury's. My wife and I are separated and going to get a divorce. My settlement came after I moved out. Would I have to give her half of it.
    SSDI is exempt from garnishment except for child support and back taxes.
    She may be awarded alimony depending on the circumstances but enforcing it may be a different deal.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

There are no kids and I don't owe any taxes. I was wondering about if she is entitled to 1/2 in a divorce.

Quote Quoting Jhon View Post
    There are no kids and I don't owe any taxes. I was wondering about if she is entitled to 1/2 in a divorce.
    You need to consult a divorce lawyer to get an answer based on the facts of your case, I would guess no.
    Generally in cases like yours, both parties walk away with whatever personal assets they own and split any assets obtained through the marriage equally.
    I think you'll be fine.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.