Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Finding Doctor for Out-Of-State Case

    My husband's workers compensation claim was made in the State of: New Hampshire. We have moved to Oregon and he needs to find an orthopedic surgeon for his back. It's proving almost impossible to find one who takes it and after doing our research we understand why. Our case manager is no help. What my questions are: Is there a website that helps locate doctors who take out of state WC? Does anyone know of an orthopedic in either OR or CA that would take out of state WC? ANYWHERE is fine, I know those are large states but his alternative is to move back to NH temporarily and we don't want that. Thank you for any help!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    831 East Morehead St., Ste 355, Charlotte, NC 28202

    Default Re: Finding Doctor for Out-Of-State Case

    I don't think there is any such website. Do you have a lawyer helping you with the case back in NH? If so, he could probably file a motion to force the carrier to find a doctor to treat you. The big problem with out of state docs is that they and their offices hate to deal with workers' comp to begin with, and having to deal with an unfamiliar comp system from another state is just more than they want to deal with. The solution often is that the comp carrier has to pay them more than they would pay in the original state. Instead of paying the discounted rate the carrier would get in NH, the carrier may have to pay the full retail rate in Oregon. So you need to figure out how to make the insurance company arrange for a doctor for you. Talk to some local work comp lawyers in Oregon too, for suggestions of who to see. Not all doctors are the same.
    The North Carolina Court of Appeals has held that "In contested Workers' Compensation cases today, access to competent legal counsel is a virtual necessity." Church v. Baxter Travenol Labs, Inc., and American Motorists Insurance Company, 104 N.C. App. 411, 416 (1991).

    Bob Bollinger, Attorney and Board Certified Specialist in NC Workers' Compensation Law

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010

    Default Re: Finding Doctor for Out-Of-State Case

    I moved states, and finding a doctor was made impossible by IC, they played games with them, refused treatment the day of procedures, after pre-approving it, over and over again, until doctor refused to see me anymore. In my new state doctors hate WC because they are forced to take monthly classes, which cost them money, because they can't see patiences on those days. Not sure where you are with back surgery or not, but I have been straight out told by doctors, that they can refer me to orthopedic doctors, but none of them will touch, do surgery, on a back another surgeon has already operated on. They don't want the fail back cases, and I was told their insurance won't cover them to take on such cases. I was told, pain management I could get, therapy, injections, but if another surgery was needed, I would need to have it with the original surgeon. Moving is allowe in WC but it is a big advantage for the IC to mess with your life. Another thing to consider, any recommendation to a specialist has to be made by a doctor in that state. Double whammy trouble!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-15-2012, 02:30 PM
  2. Finding a Doctor After Moving Out of State
    By Replant in CO in forum Medical Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 01:40 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2009, 10:09 AM
  4. Finding A Doctor Who Takes Out-Of-State W/C
    By shirleaton in forum Maryland
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-19-2005, 12:31 PM
  5. Finding A Doctor In Another State
    By shirley in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2002, 05:00 AM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Find a Lawyer