Default Hand Crushed and Skin Removed at Work

Seven days ago a member of my family was seriously injured to the point of almost losing her life at work. She was working with a temp agency at a factory where her hand was caught in the machine. It crushed her bones and ripped the skin from her Hand. She lost two fingers and a substantial amount of blood. She had to be flown to a hospital in Louisville. When she is released what can we expect. I'm assuming we should go straight to a lawyer. I would like some insight from members of this website.

Default Re: Hand Crushed and Skin Removed at Work

Malcolm1
    She lost two fingers and a substantial amount of blood.
    She would then be eligible for a scheduled award.
    They pay a set amount according to the loss of each finger.

She had to be flown to a hospital in Louisville. When she is released what can we expect.
    She will be eligible for TTD (Total Temporary Disability) wage loss benefits until she heals well enough to return to work.

I'm assuming we should go straight to a lawyer
    Correct!
    Don't sign anything or discus this case with anyone until you consult and retain a lawyer who specializes in Worker Compensation.
    It's best to lawyer up now to protect the integrity of your case, don't wait until there's problems.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Default Re: Hand Crushed and Skin Removed at Work

Follow Tony's advice and I would also try to find out if this equipment has a history of issues that caused the injury because if the equipment was faulty you might also have a third part case but that really depends on details