Default MRI Reports, Inconsistency of Opinions

I find myself in a position where I could really benefit from the wisdom of others. I would greatly appreciate some advice.

Doctor and IME reports are based on the opinions provided by X-ray Technicians. The last two are in direct conflict with accepted scientific medical data in regard to the bodies’ ability to repair/regenerate disc tissue. The last two MRI reports are used for reference in the Doctor and IME reports.

The MRI of July 2007 report states, “multiple levels of Degenerative Disc Disease. Severe decreased disc space at L5-S1 with DISC EXTRUSION extending into the pelvic paraspinous tissue.” The actual films substantiate the report (I have the original films).

The MRI of January 2008 report states, “No interval change noted from previous lumbar spine MRI examination of July 2007.” (I have the original films).

The MRI of February 2009 report states, “L5-S1 severe degenerative disc and moderate degenerative facet change WITH NORMAL DISC CONTOUR. L3-S1 degenerative change, resulting in foraminal stenosis. No disk herniation’s.” I was denied copies of the film.

The MRI of April 2010 The report states, “L5-S1 MODERATE LOSS OF HEIGHT OF THE INTERVERTEBRAL DISC… . minimal to moderate degenerative changes… disc bulge contacting the exiting L5 nerve root.” I was denied copies of the film.

The inconsistency of opinions correspond with the State of Washington Department of Labor and Industries generated letters requesting medical records already received, documented and claim imaged, or payment will not be issued.

I have brought this to the attention of my Attorney’s and Doctors. The Attorney’s tell me not to worry; this is how things are done and it is not wise to question a medical professional in any legal situation. The Doctors claim they cannot read the MRI films and will not question the Technician.

I am hoping for some guidance on how to proceed, so I can obtain a factual MRI reading, which should result in an accurate medical evaluation.

Default Re: MRI Reports, Inconsistency of Opinions

tal1j,

Sometimes the radiologist only read what the doctors direct them to look for, that is why some findings are not mentioned. The doctors I go to read the films and make a diagnosis based on the radiologist report and also from what they see on the films to correlate with the clinical findings. I have had many good doctors see thing that radiologist miss, and vise- versa .

I have had radiologist leave out findings from their report , and on further questioning have had them make an addendum to the report. I bring past films with me so when they do a study they can compare films , to see if there are changes and if there is new findings. Nobody likes to be told they missed something, it makes them look inept , especially when patients depend on it to help heal . When I fill out the pre-registration forms for x-rays /MRI/CT Scan etc...I write down every diagnosis that every doctor I have seen wrote on his reports along with information from all mri's / ct scans etc... giving them a heads up , so they can take it into consideration. Putting down more information puts them on their toes .

You make consider paying for your own study to be done. You have stated you don't have all your films, you can give them the Doctors name, locations and dates where they were done and they may be able to access them electronically. Most hospitals and independent radiology groups have a common data portal to view such information. Good Luck.

Hello goingback,

Thank You. I did not know I could request an addendum.

I will bring all studies/results/diagnosis with me to the next appointment.

Very helpful and greatly appreciated.

tal1j

hi
    I had 4 back surgeries anyhow when I first went to dr. they did mri showed nothing. then I had ct scan showed the problem fyi.

Kneebow here,

I would take the advise of your attorney, he/she is experienced and has seen this happen more often then not, (unless of course your attorney isn't specialized in works comp claims).

You could have two radiologist read the same x-ray/mri/ct and can come up with different findings.

Pick your battles, this probably shouldn't be one of them.

lol Kneebow,

You know all the above advice sounds good to me, keep your records up to date, make any treating doc aware of what has transpired before, trust your lawyer as far as what is going get him the most payout, and by happen stance you might make a full recovery because it works in his favor, and last but not least..I agree with Kneebow pick your battles. We all know deep down no matter the outcome of a case, lots of money isn't gonna finally fix the problem, retraining is going to be at it's cheapest and you might find a relevant job you like and we are not going to get 100 percent healthy when you have actual structural damage to the bones. We will be pigeoned holed into a percentages game we have no way of understanding.

So there are a few attitudes we can take to the problem:

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade"
    is one proverbial phrase used to encourage optimism and a can-do attitude in the face of adversity or misfortune.

or

"When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad!"

or

"When life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade...and try to find someone whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

The real trick is when to adopt the correct attitude right?lol.