Default How do Retraining Benefits Factor Into a Worker's Comp Settlement

If you settle out just the re-training part of the claim is it basically dime for dime. Been approved, plan in place approved. So it's all of the 13,300 (plus a little) and it's a two year plan. So stipend benefits at 041k for two years and 13,300... Is that pretty much penny for penny strait and easy, they want to settle by the way. But they want to do the other parts later, get this done now. Usually when using the word settle everyone gives up something. To me it seems pretty much like why wouldn't I just go ahead and do the training if they were gonna offer less than penny for penny. How does it work ??

Default Re: Re-Employment Settelment

Quote Quoting dpworker View Post
    If you settle out just the re-training part of the claim is it basically dime for dime. Been approved, plan in place approved. So it's all of the 13,300 (plus a little) and it's a two year plan. So stipend benefits at 041k for two years and 13,300... Is that pretty much penny for penny strait and easy, they want to settle by the way. But they want to do the other parts later, get this done now. Usually when using the word settle everyone gives up something. To me it seems pretty much like why wouldn't I just go ahead and do the training if they were gonna offer less than penny for penny. How does it work ??
    That money is approved for re-training (vocational rehab) only, it's paid directly to the school that you're attending as services are provided.
    Any money not used for re-training stays with the carrier, that's not your money and it's not paid to you.

They're not going to cash you out for the re-training, let you sit back and do nothing, then collect benefits indefinitely.
    The goal is to re-train you so you can get another job, thus reducing the value of your claim or eliminate the wage loss side completely.
    Any settlement will be for a fraction of the total value of your claim - it has to be to their gain or no deal.

If they do settle, it will be for the wage loss and medical side of your claim only.
    They sure won't settle the re-training part, in fact they will probably demand you cooperate or cut your benefits.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.