Default After Settlement, How Long Do You Have to Wait for Payment

Is there a time frame that a settlement has to be paid after it has been made? Not sure if Nebraska has a 30 day limit or not? I've already asked my attorney and got "I have no idea". Can tell I really made a mistake on an attorney!

Default Re: After Settlement Payment

you should be able to get the info from the state workers comp page

Default Re: After Settlement, How Long Do You Have to Wait for Payment

Found out they have 30 days after the settlement has been filed in court. Now it's been a month since we verbally settled and nothing has been filed yet so nothing can be done. Now my attorney is not returning my phone calls. Anyone ever dealt with something like this?

Quote Quoting staff1 View Post
    Found out they have 30 days after the settlement has been filed in court. Now it's been a month since we verbally settled and nothing has been filed yet so nothing can be done. Now my attorney is not returning my phone calls. Anyone ever dealt with something like this?
    Verbally settled means nothing.
    All that means is both parties agreed to an arrangement, it now has to be submitted and approved by the Nebraska WC Court to be binding.

DI 52120.150 Nebraska Workers' Compensation (WC)
    3. Lump sum (LS) settlement awards
    Copies of voluntary lump sum settlements must be filed with the Nebraska WC Court and approved by them in order to be binding on the parties and terminate the individual's right to any further benefits.
    https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0452120150

You have a ways to go yet, be patient.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

I think I would be more understanding if my attorney would be more helpful. This is my first work comp claim ever. I have had to do research myself as my attorney never "seems to know". I realize it's going to take time. Been 3 years and still waiting. I have found out too late that apparently I have made the wrong choice in obtaining a attorney as this one has not been helpful what so ever. You would think at least have the decency to return a phone call....and I am not a habitual caller......1 time a month and still can't get any answers. Just frustrating as I can see exactly why people give up and just take care of the injury themselves!

staff1
    think I would be more understanding if my attorney would be more helpful.
    I have no idea of why these attorneys can't give a simple answer to a simple question.
    He could have easily explained that there's no mandate that the carrier settle - they can take their sweet time in submitting the agreement for approval.
    They could very well change their minds and decide to pay your claim out in weekly payments, they're not bound to anything at this point.

Nothing happens fast in this game, give it 90 days, if nothing happens by then, go to that lawyers office and demand answers.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Well lesson learned. They had verbally settled the day before our court date. Now 3 months later they won't respond to my attorney so they have no answers. Think it's time to go ahead with a court date as it would have at least been documented if we had went to court.