Default How Soon After a Workplace Injury Can You Get a Settlement

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: Virginia
    Hello, I had just received a call from the insurance company and they told me if I settled ((I already finished my therapy but not work conditioning and have not been rated)) I would receive 25,000 Dollars for what I would of gotten in 2 years of what I made on job. BUT if I decline and wait for my rating it could decrease a lot. The cons are that I wouldn't receive any more insurance for my injury since I have settled.
    I have one week to decide before they take that offer off the table and consider me to have not taken it until further notice.
    Should I ask for twice the amount, I would like to keep lawyers out of it but also get a fair deal. They said in total my medical bills have been 40,000. I had surgery, etc, if there is anything else you might need ill make sure to give it.
    Last edited by Hutchen; 04-12-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Default Re: Settlement

Hutchen
    ((I already finished my therapy but not work conditioning and have not been rated
    I would receive 25,000 Dollars for what I would of gotten in 2 years of what I made on job.
    You're not even close to the settlement phase.
    It's impossible to know the value of your claim until you reach MMI and receive a rating.
    Settlements aren't based on what you made at work, they are based on a percentage of your AWW, your impairment rating and other factors.

I have one week to decide before they take that offer off the table
    That's ridiculous, they aren't in a position to set time limits, on top of the fact they're screwing you.

Should I ask for twice the amount, I would like to keep lawyers out of it but also get a fair deal.
    You have no idea of the value of your claim, it may be worth ten times that amount.
    You won't get a fair deal without a lawyer, they'll chew you up and spit you out.
    They have no intention of being fair with an unrepresented claimant, it won't happen.

For the cost of a lawyer, you'll be money ahead, protect your rights and save your sanity.
    Don't decide or do anything until you consult legal counsel.
    Have no further contact with that carrier or their agents until you retain a lawyer.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.