Default Why Would My Workers Comp Just Up and Change My Doctor

I'm do confused, I've been seeing a Dr from my workers comp list. All of a sudden workers comp sends me to another Dr of their choice, and supposedly now I'm only to see them, my original Dr, just received my Mri results and was referring me to a neurosurgeon, staying my mri was not good, the new one says it's clear!!! Mind you he was chosen by my workers comp insurance, I'd much rather see my original Dr and am so confused. Can they just change my Dr out of nowhere and tell me NOT to see him anymore? This guy is obviously on their side and doesn't care about me at all. HELP!

Default Re: Why Would My Workers Comp Just Up and Change My Doctor

Cturner83
    Can they just change my Dr out of nowhere and tell me NOT to see him anymore?
    Sure - if they have reason to believe you're not making "appropriate progress in recuperation."
    See below.

Chapter 440 > Section 13 (2)
    (d) The carrier has the right to transfer the care of an injured employee from the attending health care provider if an independent medical examination determines that the employee is not making appropriate progress in recuperation.

This guy is obviously on their side and doesn't care about me at all. HELP!
    You have the right to a one time change of doctor for the lifetime of the claim, if the carrier fails to "provide a change of physician as requested by the employee, the employee may select the physician" - exercise that right now.
    See below.

Chapter 440 > Section 13 (2)
    (f) Upon the written request of the employee, the carrier shall give the employee the opportunity for one change of physician during the course of treatment for any one accident. Upon the granting of a change of physician, the originally authorized physician in the same specialty as the changed physician shall become deauthorized upon written notification by the employer or carrier. The carrier shall authorize an alternative physician who shall not be professionally affiliated with the previous physician within 5 days after receipt of the request. If the carrier fails to provide a change of physician as requested by the employee, the employee may select the physician and such physician shall be considered authorized if the treatment being provided is compensable and medically necessary.

Source-
    Chapter 440 > Section 13 Medical services and supplies; penalty for violations; limitations.—
    http://www.flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2011/440.13

I recommend you consult and retain a lawyer that specializes in Worker Compensation - these people have no intention of considering your interest or being fair.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Thank you, I have a lawyer and he is NOT helping me. He said I CAN choose a Dr, but he wouldn't recommend it, BECAUSE why would the Dr lie when he knows I CAN choose another one, wth, my original Dr didn't even refer me to this new guy!! Workers comp referred me to him, and just changed him.. Horrible reviews on him, even a friend said her husband is now on disability!!! When this Dr said he's fine and he can go back to work... I have had 2 different drs say I need a neurosurgeon and then all of a sudden this Dr says I'm fine..I'm so confused, also my work called me today and said I have been released with restrictions, so now I'm going to a whole different department..... When I can't possibly stand all day. I'm totally confused with this whole thing.

Cturner83
    I have a lawyer and he is NOT helping me. He said I CAN choose a Dr, but he wouldn't recommend it, BECAUSE why would the Dr lie when he knows I CAN choose another one,
    That's not the point, this doctor isn't favorable to you, he's obviously employer friendly.
    You have the right to choose another doctor, you don't need that lawyers or anyone's permission to exercise this right.
    Call your lawyer, inform him you wish to exercise your right to change doctors and have him file the request with the carrier

If your lawyer refuses to cooperate, contact the Employee Assistance Office at 1-800-342-1741 and ask for help.
    The carrier has five days to respond or you have the right to the doctor of your choosing.

Bureau of Employee Assistance and Ombudsman
    Mailing Address: 200 East Gaines Street, Tallahassee, FL 32399-4225
    Toll-Free: (800) 342-1741 Central Office: (850) 413-1610
    Fax: (850) 413-1970 & (850) 413-1979
    Email: wceao@myfloridacfo.com
    http://www.myfloridacfo.com/division...ployee/eao.htm

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.