Thread: Broken Leg

Default Broken Leg

Last February i was on a scaffolding about 4'-5' off the ground putting up a stud wall in downtown Hastings ne and the wheels did not have locks. The scaffolding started to rolling for the stairs (no railing and 2 stories down) so i jumped off and broke my leg in 17 places. I was working for my brothers buiness and i don't think he carrys workmans comp. He paid us in cash. So i dont know if i can file a claim with workman comp or what i should do. I dont know if there is a way to find out if he has workmans comp. Any info would help me.
    Thanks Mike

Default Re: Broken Leg

Mikek1963
    Last February i was on a scaffolding about 4'-5' off the ground putting up a stud wall in downtown Hastings ne and the wheels did not have locks. The scaffolding started to rolling for the stairs (no railing and 2 stories down)
    Gee, what could go wrong here?
    Why in the hell would you be on a scaffolding with no wheel locks under these conditions? Did you have a death wish?
    You better thank your lucky stars you didn't kill another worker or bystander - you'd be up on manslaughter charges.

I was working for my brothers buiness and i don't think he carrys workmans comp. He paid us in cash. So i dont know if i can file a claim with workman comp
    Of course not, worker compensation insurance isn't free.

These types of threads always confuse me - you and your brother knew exactly what you where doing - you where avoiding taxes and trying to beat the system.
    Now that the scam backfired, you want the same benefits as those who pay taxes and worker compensation insurance.
    You took the risk, you lost - man up and take responsibility.

This one's on your dime unless you want to file a tort action against your brother (who tried to help you avoid taxes, child support and who knows what else)
    Just for the hay of it - what did you and your brother have planned in the event you injured or killed yourself or others while on this job uninsured?

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.