Thread: Access-Vr

Default Access-Vr

Reinjury of back in Spring 2015. Symptoms of spinal stenosis forced me to come out of work. Triage nurse indicated she had had exact symptoms and received a MRI asap. Comp doctor said not so it's muscular so PT with restrictions for light duty at work. 2 more follow ups finally warranted an MRI and continued PT. Union language forces employer to create a full time position if worked for 30 consecutive days. So no more work in mid summer. MRI results in 4 of 5 lumbar requiring spinal surgery. Surgeon indicated he could fix one of my 2 injuries but not both so pick a poison. History of chronic back pain from original injury was not as severe in pain as the stenosis. Surgery created a possibility of effecting the chronic back pain to make it better or worse. Early Fall surgery eliminated stenosis but severely increased chronic pain. PT began in November transitioning into work hardening therapy lasting until early Winter 2016. Both did not help, neither did out of pocket acupuncture. Can not return to employer with current lifetime restrictions and would never be offered any alternative. Surgeon follow ups have been roughly within every 12 weeks. Last 2 follow ups here in 2017 have determined a need for Access-VR formerly VESID.
    During this whole nightmare of WC each follow up prescription for PT and WH required comp approval. The prescriptions were written from date of visit to next follow up. However approval would occur so late in the game that therapy prescription was almost over. In all of this time at least one third or more of the time was totally wasted without any therapy. If we listened to the triage nurse in the very beginning I could have saved 4 months from the get go. How are we supposed to get better without professional help? Exercising at home can only do so much. Why aren't the prescriptions written such that the number of weeks begin at the time of WC approval? Plus I am still waiting for approval for Access-VR which was requested at the beginning of 2017. Does anyone know if I need approval for this Access-VR?

Default Re: Access-Vr

Does anyone know if I need approval for this Access-VR?
    You need approval for anything, sounds like you don't have a lawyer.
    Consult and retain a lawyer - it'll make your life easier and keep these people honest.
    By the way, what state?

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

I have a WC lawyer in NYS. I wonder if the employer can be held accountable for negligence because as much as they preach safety, all workers are expendable and absolutely no effort is made to help someone like me with multiple lingering work related injuries. A 55 year old is expected to perform all duties as equally as a 20 year old. Isn't there a law that people over 40 years old are not to be held accountable on a physical level?

Buster Brown
    I wonder if the employer can be held accountable for negligence because as much as they preach safety, all workers are expendable and absolutely no effort is made to help someone like me
    No, that's not negligence, they plain don't care and there's no law that says they have to.

A 55 year old is expected to perform all duties as equally as a 20 year old. Isn't there a law that people over 40 years old are not to be held accountable on a physical level?
    No, that would be discrimination - in the same way you can't hold women to a different standard than men.
    In America, we're all considered equal.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.