Default Volunteers, Emergencies and Workers Comp

I am a manager for a small group of volunteers that assist people during natural disaster, emergency situations, in South Louisiana. For instance, last August, we provided water rescue, food and supplies to thousands people stranded in their homes, in the Baton Rouge , Denham Springs, Sorrento, Estherwood and Crowley area. We do not work for the state or local jurisdictions and all our "members" provide their own equipment, time and supplies. Although, we provide them with anything donated to us, such as fuel for their boats, trucks, or food and water, everything else is strictly volunteer.

It is my understanding that we don't need to carry workers comp, because all the people "working" for us are volunteering their time and equipment. Is that correct? Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Volunteers, Emergencies and Workers Comp

It is my understanding that we don't need to carry workers comp, because all the people "working" for us are volunteering their time and equipment. Is that correct?
    I would say that's correct, you don't need to carry comp insurance for two reasons - they are volunteers and they are not receiving any "remuneration" (pay or compensation ) for their services.
    It wouldn't hurt to have these volunteers sign a waiver stating they understand they are not eligible for Worker Compensation Insurance and you assume no liability if they get injured - they volunteer at their own risk.

I'm a new employer in Louisiana. How do I know if I need workers' compensation insurance?
    All public and private employers in Louisiana, with limited exceptions, are required to provide workers' compensation insurance coverage for their employees. Any person hired to perform services for remuneration, whether full or part-time, is considered an employee. There are few exemptions (PDF) to this requirement.
    If you are unsure, contact the Financial & Compliance section of the Office of Workers' Compensation Administration (OWCA).
    http://www.laworks.net/faqs/faq_work...utedclaims.asp

Who Is Covered By The Workers’ Compensation Law?
    Domestic employees, most real estate salespersons, uncompensated officers and directors of certain non-profit organizations, and public officials are specifically exempted. Most volunteer workers would not be entitled to benefits.
    http://www.laworks.net/FAQs/FAQ_Work...sibilities.asp

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.