Default Declared MMI with Ppi Rating 48% but Not Released to Work

My workers comp claim is in the state of Alaska.

I was recently declared MMI (maximum medical improvement) by my doctor and given a PPI rating of 48%. He wouldn't release me to work though. From all the research I've done and people I've spoke with at the Alaska Labor Board, when you reach MMI that means you're released to work. So it's like I'm not fully disabled and I'm not at the same time. I will still get an impairment rating from my psychologist to add to the total next Friday.

They switched me from TTD to Permanent Partial payments when they found out I was declared MMI. Im assuming they're paying me avoid penalties because they have 21 days to pay me the PPI lump sum.
    My question is, as long as they're paying me "permanent Partial" can they hold off on paying me the lump sum? and, can I get paid at a later date for the additional rating from the Psychologist?

Also, I am 30 years old and have a long road ahead before I am at retiring age. Does the insurance co have to pay wage loss or some type of compensation on top of the PPI? I guess thats where it gets the most confusing that they declared MMI but say I can't work.

Thanks so much for any info

Default Re: Declared MMI with Ppi Rating 48% but Not Released to Work

oceanchild
    when you reach MMI that means you're released to work.
    That's not true, MMI means your "condition has stabilized and further functional improvement is unlikely" It has nothing to do with your return to work status.

MMI is defined as the point at which the injured worker’s medical condition has stabilized and further functional improvement is unlikely, despite continued medical treatment or physical rehabilitation. A treatment plateau in the patient’s recovery is reached and that is as good as the patient is going to get. In some instances, it may mean that the patient has fully recovered from the injury. At MMI, no further healing or improvement is expected and the degree of permanent or partial impairment can now be determined.
    http://www.wci360.com/news/article/e...ers-perception

as long as they're paying me "permanent Partial" can they hold off on paying me the lump sum?
    Not unless you're in job training .

Permanent Partial Impairment (PPI) – (code as PP); paid in addition to temporary disability. Paid in a lump sum unless the worker is in the reemployment process (job training), then paid biweekly at the established weekly WC rate. – Reverse jurisdiction does not apply. PP WC is offsettable.
    https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0452120010

Does the insurance co have to pay wage loss or some type of compensation on top of the PPI?
    Only if you bought additional coverage, they are obligated to pay no more than what the law allows, which is PPI benefits.

Permanent partial disability payments may be paid in addition to other types of Alaskan wage loss benefits.
    https://www.usworkerscomp.com/workers-comp-law/alaska

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.