Default Paying for Prescription Drug Myself

For about the past couple of years, a prescription that I need has been getting denied when it used to get approved. My doctor prescribes it, it gets denied, I appeal, and it gets denied again. Lather rinse repeat. I think I'm in some sort of appeal lock-out period where I can't even make another appeal for a year.

I'm so frustrated that I'm thinking of just paying directly out of pocket for the drug, but I'm not sure if this is possible or even legal. My doctor writes "worker's compensation" on the prescriptions he gives me, so I'm not sure what a pharmacist will do if I ask to pay for it myself.

I'm thinking of asking my doctor to stop writing "worker's compensation" on my prescriptions, though I'm unsure if he will do it.

Any advice on how to go about paying directly for a prescription? Thanks.

Default Re: Paying for Prescription Drug Myself

Give the pharmacy the IC adjusters direct phone number, that worked for me.
    I paid for some prescriptions out of pocket, kinda sad all the back and forth for a $10 prescription.

Quote Quoting Dasrock View Post
    I paid for some prescriptions out of pocket, kinda sad all the back and forth for a $10 prescription.
    Thanks for replying. How did you go about paying out of pocket for a Workers Comp prescription? My doctor writes "workers compensation" on my prescription, so I'm not sure if a pharmacy would even let me pay." I would think you'd need a helpful doctor that would write the prescription differently, or a pharmacy that would accept direct payment. Thanks.

Quote Quoting Karl View Post
    Thanks for replying. How did you go about paying out of pocket for a Workers Comp prescription? My doctor writes "workers compensation" on my prescription, so I'm not sure if a pharmacy would even let me pay." I would think you'd need a helpful doctor that would write the prescription differently, or a pharmacy that would accept direct payment. Thanks.
    Your local pharmacy couldn't care less who pays.....They want their money thats all.

Quote Quoting Karl View Post
    The only thing that should be on that script is the drug - period.
    That doctor doesn't have the authority to recommend or authorize payments - that's completely out of his authority or expertise.
    Tell him to knock it off.

In the same way, the pharmacy is focused on the script for drugs only, anything else is irrelevant.
    If payment is denied or accepted by comp is irrelevant, you can pay out of pocket if you choose - period.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Yes, I do this quite often. I bring my prescription to the pharmacy I tell them to run it through Worker's Comp. They come back and say that it's not authorized and then I pay the cash price. A lot of the prescriptions are generic and do not cost very much. For prescriptions that are expensive you can search the Internet for coupons. I've actually been able to save about 50% on some of my cash paid prescriptions by bringing in a coupon.