Hi folks!

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: Pennsylvania

Background:
I injured my shoulder on the job about two years ago. I recovered and I am now 100% employable and back to work. However, there are residuals in the form of moderate to severe pain at times depending on range of motion and level of exertion. My job is very physical so a painful shoulder is quite a problem, even if I'm able to complete the required tasks.

A recent MRI has shown there is a substantial area of calcification in the shoulder, a result of the injury. I currently get steroid injections into the shoulder to manage the pain, which have to be repeated every 3 months or so. This is the second MRI the Workers Comp company has demanded, and they are involved every step of the way when I seek medical treatment for the shoulder, which costs me lost time from work. My job is very physical so a painful shoulder is quite a problem, even if I'm able to complete the required tasks.

Questions: Should I seek a lump sum settlement to cover future medical expenses, so I do not have the insurance company back-seat driving my medical care?

Or, if I opt to continue with medical treatment, is there a risk the insurance company attempt to "turn off" the coverage at some point in the future? Unless I have surgery, it does not appear the calcification lump will go away, so this will be a lifetime issue.

Bottom line: I do not want to either (a) lose the medical treatment coverage or (b) settle for something far less than the future expenses for treatment. But I am uncertain how this all works and what to expect.

Any thoughts/suggestions on this? Thank you so much!