Default The Workers Comp Doesn't Want to Settle

Hi guys I would really like if somebody can answer my question I got to hurt 2014 I reach maximum medical improvement I can't work workers comp pay me every week my lawyer ask..sent request for certain amount of money for a settlement but they don't answer I am panicking my lawyer said you can stay like this forever I would like to settle my case and search for new job something that maybe I can do now I am worried is it my lawyer doing right thing because I heard that they like to settle their cases what should I do I'm just scared. After while they going to close my case or something is anybody going through this please help

Default Re: The Workers Comp Doesn't Want to Settle

There's no law saying they have to payout a lump sum, they may very well pay out your claim in payments.
    There's nothing to fear, the number of weeks are defined by law, they can't just " close your case"
    As long as they're ordered to pay out your rating, you should be fine.

If you can afford it, you're better off with the payments, they won't do a lump sum unless it's for a reduced rate and you forfeit significant rights.
    If you're eligible for extended benefits, they will offer a lump sum in time, relax and don't appear desperate.

Permanent Impairment Awards
    RSA 281-A:32
    A permanent impairment award, which is under RSA 281-A:32 of the New Hampshire Workers' Compensation statute, is an award for the percentage of permanent loss of use to a compensable body part. Compensable body parts are listed in the statute giving the total number of weeks allowed. The award is a separate and distinct benefit and is in addition to any other benefit being paid such as weekly compensation, medical benefits and vocational rehabilitation.
    If an injury causes a permanent loss to more than one compensable body part or to the spine, the award is given on the basis of a whole person permanent impairment using a 350-week schedule.

Calculation of the award is a relatively simple formula:
    1-percentage of loss multiplied by the total number of weeks
    2-the number of weeks multiplied by the claimant's compensation rateequals the total dollar amount of the benefit.
    Example:
    10% loss of an arm would be .10 x 210 (arm) = 21 weeks of benefits times the compensation rate of $325.00 or a total of $6825.00.
    https://www.nh.gov/labor/workers-com...impairment.htm

Settling Your Workers' Comp Case in New Hampshire
    Understand the consequences of a workers’ comp settlement in New Hampshire.
    While there are many benefits to settling your workers’ compensation case, you will also likely be giving up significant rights. Below, we explain the settlement process in New Hampshire. However, because settlements are typically final, you should consult with a New Hampshire workers’ comp lawyer before you sign any agreements.
    https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...hampshire.html

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.