Exclamation HELP! Injured, Two Disc Fusion Surgeries, Permanent Nerve Damage,dont Know What to Do

Ill try to sum this up quickly and any help or advice anyone can give I thank you. Been an agonizing two + years.

Work for the US Postal Service. Injured on the job May 2016, ended up with 3 damaged herniated discs. Surgeon recommend immediate surgery on one disc, the other two he said should be fine, worst disc wass pressing on nerve that runs thru my arm and fingers. Sharp arm pain and half my hand is numb.

It took 6 months to get thru hoops and 3 different surgeons who all agreed surgery was only option. Had disc fusion surgery in late Nov 2016

After surgery pain was stil there, went thru 2-3 months of therapy and pain was getting worse, I pretty much demanded another MRI. This was about Feb 2017.

MRI results showed a second disc herniated even more and was pressing on the spinal cord/nerves running thru my left arm even worse than the first one was. Surgeon said if I had the surgery when he wanted (In May 2016) this may have been prevented. DOL rep blamed surgeon for not seeing the second damaged disc (during surgery) that didnt make sense to me, or him... but whatever.

Didnt get second surgery approved and done until JULY of 2017. Neurosurgeon was called in during surgery due to the fact it was pressing so deeply on my spinal cord.

Been in therapy from August 2017 until August 2018, Surgeon said this may be as good as it gets and sends me to Work Hardening Therapy.

Some test the therapist submitted to the surgeon (it took 5 minutes... wasnt even this FCE I've heard about) claims Im at 65% I have no clue how this could have been determined by me lifting a couple of extra weights for 5 minutes.

Surgeon is sending me back to work for 4 hours a day and will increase that over the next month. I completely afraid Im not going to be able to do this.
    Therapy sessions were 1.5 hours, and the work hardening was 3 hours (but I always had to take a break after 2 hours with ice on my neck) In addition to that I have to take meds (pain reliever and muscle relaxers) which I obviously cant take if im driving to and from work.

I do want to go back to work, this entire fiasco has financially destroyed me. But I feel Im being forced back by people who are just trying to get me out of their hair (or paperwork)

I have 28 years in and have never had anything like this happen. Ive talked to many lawyers and ALL have said I have a case, but none handle the Post Office.

Currently I get migraines almost every two weeks... my shoulder and arm pain are a tiny bit better, but still cant lift my arm much without a sharp pain shooting thru my upper arm. My left hand I can barely feel the last three fingers. its always numb. My neck.... constant pain.

Any help?? Suggestions?? Advice?? Im so lost
    Last edited by Blackhawks19; 10-05-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Default Re: HELP! Injured, Two Disc Fusion Surgeries, Permanent Nerve Damage,dont Know What t

Been an agonizing two + years.
    I feel Im being forced back by people who are just trying to get me out of their hair (or paperwork)
    The reason you feel that way is because they are forcing you back, they won't let you stay off indefinitely.

Any help?? Suggestions?? Advice??
    You have to go back and do the best you can - do not quit!!!
    Either it'll work out or it won't - if they feel it's a waste of time, they'll lay you off or fire you, you'd then be eligible for wage loss benefits.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Default Re: HELP! Injured, Two Disc Fusion Surgeries, Permanent Nerve Damage,dont Know What t

In Illinois

I dont believe they can fire me (Postal Service) but I wouldnt put it past them to try.

Also... finding a lawyer who handles the Post Office is incredibly hard, all the numbers Im given by lawyers who say I have a case... it never pans out Dont know what to do there. I need someone that is versed in this Scheduled Award stuff also. I have three different problems (neck, arm, hand) and no clue how that all works. The DOL rep mentioned it a few times that Id have something coming in the end... but no clue how or when.

I just felt this work hardening therapy was actually doing better than the normal therpay I was in... but then they stopped approving it for some reason Just been a shit show from day one and now I have what seems to be permanent damage :-(

I need someone that is versed in this Scheduled Award stuff also. I have three different problems (neck, arm, hand) and no clue how that all works. The DOL rep mentioned it a few times that Id have something coming in the end... but no clue how or when.
    Go through and read up on scheduled awards and perm disability claims.

Division of Federal Employees' Compensation (DFEC)
    Group 2 – Payment of Compensation and Schedule Awards
    https://www.dol.gov/owcp/dfec/regs/c...up2.htm#208082

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.