Default Workers Comp State of Wisconsin

Hi, I'm new here and new to workers comp for the most part. In August of 2017 I was crushed between the cab of a skid steer and the attachment it had on. Fractured my skull, bruised liver, lungs, herniated L5 S1, broken rib in my upper back, and busted up my face pretty good. Overall I'm doing alot better. Back really hurts at times but my whole body has extreme aching in the mornings that lasts for a few hours. I works for the state of wisconsin. They have been nothing short of amazing. The workers comp lady I've been dealing with has been caring and has paid for everything with basically no questions asked for the most part. I've been back to work for almost a year. Came back the week of Christmas in 2017. I've been on light duty since. Doesn't seem like I'm leaving light duty anytime soon. Doctor are trying to avoid surgery on my back due to my age. I'm in my early 30's.

My questions are should I get an attorney? Workers comp hasnt denied me anything at all. So I have no problems there. I just wanna put this behind me. I'm not getting any worse physically. I can still walk a little bit before the pain in my back pretty much shuts me down. Which is a huge improvement from where I was a year ago.

How do I approach workers comp to start a settlement? I'm just over going to doctors who keep telling me the same thing. Its draining mentally to be told do this and that and it should get better. Cause when I do this and that it doesn't get any better, nor does it get any worse.

If I can approach workers comp about a settlement, how much would I even ask for? I would really like to keep a lawyer out of it because they have been so good to me and my family.

Has anyone here ever handled it on their own? What was the outcome? What would you do differently?

Default Re: Workers Comp State of Wisconsin

You need a lawyer, this stuff is way over your head.
    Consult a lawyer, he may take your case on a "stand by" basis - He can monitor your claim, give advice to prevent problems and be there when problems do arise.
    In the mean time, do not attempt to handle this on your own, do not mention settlement to anyone - you may undermine your claim.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Thanks for replying. I'll look into one. Thanks again

Being nice has nothing to do with taking care of business and protecting your rights.
    Remember, the employer and carrier have a seasoned law firm on their side even though they have "been so good to your and your family" don't you deserve the same?

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

You have a great point. I'll look into it and probably ask my other lawyer if they recommend anyone

Here's a good thread on finding a lawyer - Read through and follow the advice given

Researching Lawyers Before You Choose One (by complwyr)
    https://www.workerscompensationinsur...You-Choose-One

Tony