Default Section 22/ Percentage of Disability and Private Investigator

NJ-First time posting. A little over a year ago I fell at work and broke several bones in my arm. I've had two surgeries, the first I had a plate and multiple pins placed in my arm and the second the removal of a couple pins to see if my range of motion would increase. I've been in physical therapy for over a year. I also developed a frozen shoulder and have been dealing with that for a year as well. For the first year the insurance company was very good, I honestly had no complaints. Knowing I would be declared MMI in the near future, I hired a lawyer. Since hiring a lawyer, I've had two separate incidents of strangers coming to my door and making up strange stories to find out my name. To make a long story short, the second man actually gave me his name and through my thorough research I found out he was a private investigator. I called him out on it and in the following weeks he actually sent me text messages and tried calling me twice. My question is, I thought once I signed with a lawyer, a private investigator would not be allowed to engage with me? He not only made up a story when he came to my door, but then he sent me text messages and tried calling me twice. Mind you, I am doing nothing wrong. I called my lawyer and he said not to worry about it, that PIs usually will hang out for a couple of days and then leave but i feel this guy crossed the line.

Second question, I know the process once I am declared MMI but how do the doctors or judge actually detrmine the percentage of my permanent partial disability? I know NJ doesn't use AMA guidelines but does anyone know where I can find those guidelines so I can get an idea? Thank you!

Default Re: Section 22/ Percentage of Disability and Private Investigator

Missy
    Since hiring a lawyer, I've had two separate incidents of strangers coming to my door and making up strange stories to find out my name. To make a long story short, the second man actually gave me his name and through my thorough research I found out he was a private investigator. I called him out on it and in the following weeks he actually sent me text messages and tried calling me twice. My question is, I thought once I signed with a lawyer, a private investigator would not be allowed to engage with me?
    First off, an investigator would already know your name, he would hardly knock on your door to ask.
    Secondly, an investigator would never reveal himself to the target, that undermines the investigation.
    So, bottom line - You're not dealing with an investigator or any agent from the carrier.

Now, how did this stranger get your phone number and e-mail?

I thought once I signed with a lawyer, a private investigator would not be allowed to engage with me?
    Correct, and they wouldn't even if they could.
    If an investigator is discovered or even suspicions he's been discovered, the investigation would be terminated - The investigation has been compromised, the target would play to the camera.

I know NJ doesn't use AMA guidelines but does anyone know where I can find those guidelines so I can get an idea? Thank you!
    Here ya go, have fun.

Workers’ Compensation Guidelines for Determining Impairment
    http://www.wcb.ny.gov/2018-Impairment-Guidelines.pdf

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Thanks for your reply. He is without a doubt an SUI investigator, he basically acknowledged it and yes he compromised the investigation. I found him on LinkedIn and his title is SUI Investigator for a company that works investigating workers comp cases. I also tracked down his NY state license number. First off, I live in a very large condo development and the parking lot is not near my building. Most likely he wanted to get a good look at me since my building has eight other families that live in it. When he came to my door, he told me I was supposed to receive a piece of jewelry from his Mother's company, but he suspected their driver was stealing from his Mother and wanted to know if I received the jewelry. When I questioned him and told him I never heard of his mother's company and I never ordered jewelry from her company he then tried to tell me someone must of ordered it for me. I asked who and he told me he would have to check and I should call him later and he gave me his name and phone number. I sent him a text later that night asking who ordered it and what was ordered. He got back to me and texted that it was a necklace but they had no record of who ordered it for me. After this, I started to do my own research and that's when I found out he was an SUI Investigator who works on workman's comp cases and as mentioned I found his license number. I played along with him and sent him a text a week later asking what happened to my piece of jewelry. He said he would get back to me. Another week goes by and I text him again and he sends me a text stating a necklace was in the mail. Needless to say I never received anything. I then sent him a text letting him know I knew who he was working for and named the company. He actually replied and said, "I see you've done your research and I want you to know I was very nice to you and gave you my real name" So yes, the investigation was compromised. I don't know if he is a rookie or what but he wasn't very smart.
    So, I was basically wondering did this cross a line?

Thank you for the guidelines you posted above

Missy
    He is without a doubt an SUI investigator, he basically acknowledged it and yes he compromised the investigation. I found him on LinkedIn and his title is SUI Investigator for a company that works investigating workers comp cases. I also tracked down his NY state license number.
    So the stranger did what you did, found the name of an investigator and used it.
    Investigators don't have contact with or reveal their names to the target - that's just plain ridiculous.

When he came to my door, he told me I was supposed to receive a piece of jewelry from his Mother's company and I never ordered jewelry from her company
    That does it, that alone proves he's an investigator.
    I mean who else but an investigator would use that scam?
    Did you ever think of asking to see his badge? A real PI would show his badge at first contact, you wouldn't have to ask for it or look him up on the internet.

When I questioned him and told him I never heard of his mother's company and I never ordered jewelry from her company he then tried to tell me someone must of ordered it for me. I asked who and he told me he would have to check and I should call him later and he gave me his name and phone number. I sent him a text later that night asking who ordered it and what was ordered.
    That's it, always respond to strangers selling a scam with your real phone number, I mean who wouldn't.
    Do you really believe a PI would knock on your door, give his real name and sell the oldest scam in the book?
    Come on.

An investigators job is to obtain video evidence of you performing outside of your restrictions not verify your name or address, they already know that.
    They'll never obtain the above by knocking on the door and running some silly scam, that would defeat the purpose of why they where hired.
    You better call the police and inform them you're being stalked or worse - that guy isn't a PI, he's a con man.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

I may call the police for the hell of it. I have photos of him and all of his information.