Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Red face Learning to Walk Again

Two years ago I shattered my ankle and tibia falling through roof we we're working on. After ten surgerys to repair it and bone stimulaters, also p/t. I ended up having a below knee amputation because of to much soft tissue damage. Between the nerve damage and the sever ankle arthritis it was the best option for me. So, I had the amputation October 9, 2018. It was the most painful experience in my life but, worth it. It brought my family closer. The kids started pitching in, my extended family and church family was a phone call away. I had support needless to say. But one thing that keeps wedging between my wife and I were symptoms of TBI, which my Dr is working on that. Anyways, today I got my first prosthetic leg and I'm overwhelmed with joy. I thought I would just take off and run a marathon but, nope it's more difficult than I thought. Next week I'll be getting p/t. Learning how to walk again I'm so excited it hurts like hell but, grateful

Default Re: Learning to Walk Again

Wow, that's good news, I'm happy for you and your family - I'll keep you in my prayers.
    Thanks for the update, Take Care.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Thanks Tony for the prayers. We can do all things through Christ but, I also realize we have to be able do things for ourselves. I would like to use this thread to show my progression to recovery. Today I have been brave enough to walk a little bit unassisted but, being careful not to overdo it. In the beginning less is more but, gradually increaseing over time and exercising the unused limb will help the recovery. PLEASE post any suggestions or any questions that I can help with. We don't have to do everything alone. Talking about our struggle's can be helpful.

I'll make this thread a sticky, it'll be easier to find and update.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Day three of walking, just little bit of walking I did yesterday made knee and stump
    Area very sore. I double checked to assure I'm wearing the prosthetic correctly. But, I'm gonna
    Take it easy today. I hope to here from other people's experiances and hope
    To help others just starting this journey. It's all about moving forward the best
    We can. To live life to the fullest. Happy Easter to everyone

Want to note that it's difficult putting on the liner properly
    So it clicks into my socket. Going to take some getting used too.
    Kind of frustrating.

I learned a valuable lesson today. I forgot to wear my stump shrinker to bed last night
    And when I went to put my prosthetic leg on this morning it did not fit. So that being frustrating
    I put my shrinker on for a few hours and tried again. Thankfully it slipped right on.
    So FYI wear your shrinkers to bed to save you a hassle in the morning thankfully.
    All I had to do was get a few groceries and not have anywhere to be. So
    ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SHRINKERS. Hope y'all had a good Easter. Take care.

Got my script for physical therapy today. I was surprised my Dr even asked if I wanted try as active I am
    I said yeah got to have it. We have to make the choice to do all we can to recover, to get on with our
    Lives, support our families, to take some of the weight off their shoulders. I owe my wife and kids
    So much for stepping up for me and all the help and support. For all those who are going through.
    recovery
    Alone I applaud you and pray for your comfort and that God bless' you with relief from your tribulations
    Hope have some feedback from others, to here their stories we all can be strengthened by the testimonies of others.

My posts keep stacking on the same page. What am I doing wrong?

Not at my best today. My wife is on my case about quitting cigarettes and I'm just struggling with
    It. There is so much stress (on the both of us) but, man I have one leg, a brain injur, and take care of
    Four kids. I mean I can hardly remember things and remember things that aren't even real. I mean
    Even conversations that never happened. I want to be more up lifting, sorry for attempting a rant.
    #ICANDOTHIS #LORDTAKETHEWHEEL. ☮️

Its an old worn out saying, "take things one day at a time"
    There is a lot of wisdom behind it!

There will be some ups, and plenty of downs, its impossible to always be up and positive.
    The stress on your family is strong, get plenty of rest, you are very lucky to go through this with a partner.

Hang in there we are all pulling for you!...Stay strong

Thanks, I feel much better today. But, thank you for your reply it means a lot because you have been
    Through this. And today is new day. One day at a time.

My posts keep stacking on the same page. What am I doing wrong?
    Nothing, whenever you respond within a certain amount of time (can't remember how long) your post will stack on your last post if that was the last response.
    If you want, start out with UPDATE: (add the time and date if you wish) then post.

Tony

UPDATE: 5:42PM 4-26-19
    See, like this

Tony

Ok gotcha. That's what I'll do. Thanks.
    .................................................. ............
    Update: April 29, 2019 7:50 pm.

Will be starting physical therapy soon can't wait to learn how to walk unassisted I'm tired of this walker.
    Also waiting for neuro Dr. My psych Dr. Told he can only recommend a neurologist but can't refer me to
    One hopefully my lawyer can do something with a recommendation. I don't know what else I can do.

Update: 5-01-19 2:28 pm

Feeling pretty good today my pysc. Dr. Has my meds balanced out pretty good
    Taking symbolta with an add of Abilify. Not as Moody and irritable as I was.
    Panic attacks still bothersome but, I'm sure that will go away in time.
    If you have problems with depression or mood I hope that you have family and
    Friends you trust to confide in. It is difficult to talk with them I know but don't suffer this alone
    There are meds to help balance this out. We've lost too many great people
    Over this disease. So you don't have to handle it alone. I wish you all the best.

Update: 5-02-19......10:44pm

I walked unassisted today with my prosthetic. Taking to long for physical therapy to get approved
    So I'm getting ahead of the program. Except stairs, and my ramp. Not ready for that shit just yet.
    But I'll be good to go hopefully soon

Update: 5-03-19.......11:47

Still waiting also on a referral for a neurologist. My wife told me last night she don't Know wether to quit Her job to take care of me and the kids or hire a nanny because of my ridiculous memory and
    And perception issues that seem real but are not I'm losing my mind I'm losing my everything
    And I can't get a sense of urgency from Drs or lawyers. It's getting so crazy though I wish I could
    Explain the experience to someone so that they could understand how weird the issues are(I don't know what else to call it) I'm coping with the physical stuff but, the mental issues is killing me. HELP!
    Last edited by ChiLDofGod; 04-29-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Still waiting also on a referral for a neurologist. My wife told me last night she don't Know wether to quit Her job to take care of me and the kids or hire a nanny because of my ridiculous memory and
    And perception issues that seem real but are not I'm losing my mind I'm losing my everything
    And I can't get a sense of urgency from Drs or lawyers. It's getting so crazy though I wish I could
    Explain the experience to someone so that they could understand how weird the issues are(I don't know what else to call it) I'm coping with the physical stuff but, the mental issues is killing me. HELP!

Last edited by ChiLDofGod; 04-29-2019 at 07:52 PM.
    ================================================== ===================================
    Yes get to that Neurologist soon as you can....Not only do they need to do testing to get a baseline, he will get you more therapy also, occupational , and speech therapy.....I have lost short term memory(frontal lobe) and a very damaged executive function....In therapy they will teach you many ways of doing things differently . If I remember its called strategies, to help out your weaknesses with memory and other things...

Drs. and healing is the most important now, yes your lawyer but most are not aware of the problems from traumatic brain injuries(TBI).

You are not losing your mind, this is very hard and therapy can help...Im in this mess over 12 years, I will never be myself again, but between acceptance and strategies I live as close to normal life as I can....Its nothing like when I worked, but I do have peace, and I do not beat myself up over and over do to my disabilities...

Hang in there, is a long slow road with ups and downs!