Default Can I Work After a Industrial Disability Retirement. (Calpers)

I was approved for a Industrial Disability retirement through Calpers. I was a RN in a Forensic Psychiatric facility (Safety). I need to supplement my income. Can I work as a RN still in a different capacity? For example, Iíve been offered a position as a RN in a spa where I would only be administering IV fluids to patients. Reading through the Calpers booklet is very confusing. Does anyone know an attorney who specializes in these sorts of cases?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Can I Work After a Industrial Disability Retirement. (Calpers)

I need to supplement my income. Can I work as a RN still in a different capacity?
    Be Careful - Your earnings might be deducted from your retirement benefits.
    Also, "The position should not be the same position from which you retired or in the same member classification,"
    See pg 17 in the below link

Working for a CalPERS Employer in a Permanent Capacity After Disability Retirement
    Under Government Code section 21232, disability or industrial disability retirees may seek permanent employment while receiving retirement benefits with CalPERS’ pre-approval. However, certain restrictions apply. Your job duties must differ significantly from those required in the position from which you retired. The position should not be the same position from which you retired or in the same member classification, and the position should not include duties or activities you were restricted from performing at the time of your retirement. If you are approved to work, you will be required to report your earnings to CalPERS and your retirement allowance will be subject to an earnings limit.To be eligible for employment, you must first meet the following requirements (refer to specific sections in this publication):• The bona fide separation requirement, if applicable.• The 180-day wait period requirement or an allowable exception.• No receipt of unemployment insurance payments for previous retired annuitant employment for 12 months before the appointment.• State Employer Civil Service Eligibility for employment with a state agency employer.
    https://www.calpers.ca.gov/docs/form...retirement.pdf

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.