Default Obtaining Benefits

I was injured at work and tore a muscle and possibly my rotator cuff. I left work and went to the ER and have had 2 appointments since. I saw a surgeon and she told me she has to wait on mri results but that she's sure I'll need surgery.

My HR dept isn't helping me whatsoever. Not returning calls, got my last check wrong, "lost" my workers comp paperwork. I'm very stressed...I've been working 20 years and I have never had anything like this happen.

I guess my questions are, what is the normal length of time it takes to get approved (I've researched and read anywhere from 4 days to a month.) I've been waiting 10 days And I'll iv e received is a generic form And card from BWC.

And is there any action i should be taking with HR? They have been extremely unprofessional and lazy. Even the head of the dept hasn't returned my calls. I'm just afraid I won't have paperwork in order, because of them, and it'll somehow come back on me.

I'm very nervous about the whole thing...this couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Default Re: Obtaining Benefits

You need to file a First Report of Injury with the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC) - based on the information you've posted, don't trust the employer has done so.

Here's a good blog with instructions on how to do so.
    https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/re...ts-appeals.htm

Here's the website for the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation, it should provide all the info needed to start your claim.
    https://info.bwc.ohio.gov/wps/portal...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

If you have problems understanding the above or if the employer refuses to cooperate, don't hesitate to consult and retain a lawyer.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Thank you sir.

I know it probably varies but do you know the average time it takes to get approved? 28 days is killer.

Quote Quoting Favre23 View Post
    Thank you sir.

I know it probably varies but do you know the average time it takes to get approved? 28 days is killer.
    It depends on how well the employer cooperates or if they fight your claim, you should see your first check in 14 days.
    This is all explained in the above link to the BWC.

BWC does not pay benefits for the first seven days of an injury until you have been unable to work for 14 or more consecutive days. Once you have missed 14 or more consecutive (calendar) days, BWC will compensate you for the total number of days missed.
    https://info.bwc.ohio.gov/wps/portal...0-98ab7da500ae

You need to consult and retain a lawyer, something's obviously not going the way it should.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.