Default Fair Settlement Amount,what Should I Expect Value Wise

I averaged about $800 per week take home,been out of work since Jan 9th and had a 2 level neck disk replacement from slipping off a truck step I opted not to have fusion lose of motion and a much longer recovery time, the company I worked for denied my claim ,got a lawyer but apparently we didn't appeal the denial we started a new claim in the state I live in not the state my company denied me in.I don't recieve any weekly or bi weekly payments of any kind and already went through the discovery phase and medation process in court.I had neck disk replacement on 2 levels my surgeon says 400k or dont settle with 2 years of medical minimum and I see cases of people awarded 400k for broken hands .I dont understand my lawyer he said a fair settlement would be 100k with 2 year medical. I get the longer I'm injured the more the amount and the suggested disability rating for the future but I read a mechanic got 400k out of work with a broken hand but my case is 1/4 with a major neck surgery just because my healing time is only 8 weeks? I dont see how that even is close bones broken is one thing but I could have been paralyzed according to my dr if I took a good fall or hit and its life altering but worth less?

Default Re: Fair Settlement Amount,what Should I Expect Value Wise

the company I worked for denied my claim ,got a lawyer but apparently we didn't appeal the denial we started a new claim in the state I live in not the state my company denied me in.I don't recieve any weekly or bi weekly payments of any kind
    see cases of people awarded 400k for broken hands .I dont understand my lawyer he said a fair settlement would be 100k with 2 year medical.
    You can file a hundred claims, the company will still deny them - it might be a good idea to first win your case before thinking about a settlement.
    Settlements are based on your impairment rating, your average weekly wage and loss of earning capacity.
    Unless you make a million dollars a year, you'd never see a 400k settlement over a broken hand.

How is it, your lawyer and the doctor came up with that two year medical term?
    The point of settling is to get you off the dough and close your claim - two years medical wont accomplish that.

my surgeon says 400k or dont settle with 2 years of medical minimumm
    That's just plain BS and you know it - a surgeon would never say something that stupid, it's completely out of his field of expertise.
    You seem stuck on 400k, is it just a coincidence the surgeon said that figure and you also seen that figure for a broken hand settlement.
    How about posting the source for this 400k settlement over a broken hand, I don't believe you.

It's impossible for anyone to know a fair settlement amount (including your lawyer or surgeon) until you receive an Impairment Rating and an offer from the carrier.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Quote Quoting tony View Post
    You can file a hundred claims, the company will still deny them - it might be a good idea to first win your case before thinking about a settlement.
    Settlements are based on your impairment rating, your average weekly wage and loss of earning capacity.
    Unless you make a million dollars a year, you'd never see a 400k settlement over a broken hand.

How is it, your lawyer and the doctor came up with that two year medical term?
    The point of settling is to get you off the dough and close your claim - two years medical wont accomplish that.

That's just plain BS and you know it - a surgeon would never say something that stupid, it's completely out of his field of expertise.
    You seem stuck on 400k, is it just a coincidence the surgeon said that figure and you also seen that figure for a broken hand settlement.
    How about posting the source for this 400k settlement over a broken hand, I don't believe you.

It's impossible for anyone to know a fair settlement amount (including your lawyer or surgeon) until you receive an Impairment Rating and an offer from the carrier.

Tony
    Tony I had medation lawyer called me I wasnt present.he said opening offer is 40k no medical so let's wait till after surgery they dont want to really offer anything yet.i asked what's a good amount to him he said I like a 100k and 2 year medical that would be okay and fair but then followed up by asking me where what kind of surgery am I having again ect.which made me think you put a price tag on something and you dont recall what operation I'm having....had surgery 1 to 2 hour surgery took 5 and a half hours a small one inch incision about 3 inch on my neck 2 weeks after surgery now .when I came out of surgery dr was bsing with me asked me how I'm feeling ect.he said my neck was much worse then the mri from February showed wished he had taken another one.I told him my left hand had feeling and I had strength (which wasnt the case before surgery) back but weirdly my right hand was numb he said unless it's a life or death situation he wouldnt touch my neck again it will work itself out during healing or I'll have to accept it for what it is and be I still had strength in it he asked how my case is going I told him exactly what happened with medation he stated add a 0 to that amount(400,00) and minimum 2 year medical that's why I'm so confused I know hes a dr not a lawyer .My lawyers great but I only see him 15 mins before a trail and all I can do is call the office and his help says o he knows a good number but we dont know that amount .so I'm in the point of settlement or judge comes to a conclusion and I have no idea what a good settlement would be and that makes me concerned

*************************** heres one example that blows my mind
    Last edited by tony; 09-08-2019 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spam removed

I removed that example - that's an advertisement for a law firm and is considered spam, it had nothing to do with a broken hand.
    That was a back injury which resulted in a total disability claim, it was no where close to the 400K that you claimed.
    You better listen to your lawyer and get real, you won't see anything close to the numbers you're looking at.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Short answer is listen to your lawyer. Online research as to value will only confuse you. Each case is different. Your lawyer knows what is in the medical reports including any past medical history. Your client knows what the witnesses actually said and whether they sounded believable when they made their statements. Your lawyer knows the judge. Your lawyer knows the insurance company. Your lawyer knows the other lawyer and tactics that lawyer may be able to take advantage of to reduce your potential recovery. NEVER take the word of your doctor over your lawyer in regard to value. If your doctor knew how to litigate your claim, he would be a practicing law not medicine.
    Timothy D. Belt, Esquire
    Helping injured workers in Northeast Pennsylvania.
    belt-law@belt-law.com
    www.belt-law.com

DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania. The information given is based strictly upon the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality.