Default Nysif Formulary

Over the last few months I have received notices from NYSIF that my meds will no longer be on their formulary. Just like that, NYSIF and I'm sure other insurers are eliminating meds without a hearing. I have tried to get my state senator and assemblyman to respond to my requests for explanation to no avail. If the judge sets monetary and medical requirements at a hearing, how can the insurer change these at will? They have pretty much dropped this into the lap of the doctors forcing them to jump thru hoops to get a continuation of meds with no guarantee.

Default Re: Nysif Formulary

If the judge sets monetary and medical requirements at a hearing, how can the insurer change these at will?
    Judges aren't qualified to determine medications, they determine whether you're entitled to medical and that's it.
    The insurer has nothing to do with it, changes are determined by the Board on the basis of the "effectiveness and appropriateness for the treatment of illnesses and injuries covered under the Workers’ Compensation Law."
    Formulary drugs do not require prior authorization.

New York Workers’ Compensation Drug Formulary
    Introduction
    Legislation enacted in April 2017 required the New York State Workers’ Compensation Board to establish a drug formulary. The New York Workers’ Compensation Drug Formulary (NY WC Formulary) is based on a medication’s effectiveness and appropriateness for the treatment of illnesses and injuries covered under the Workers’ Compensation Law.
    The NY WC Formulary drug list designates drugs as either “Phase A”, “Phase B” or “Perioperative.” Additionally, some drugs are listed as second-line therapy (2nd line) and may only be used when other drugs associated with the phase of treatment have been deemed ineffective. Drugs not listed on the NY WC Formulary are considered non-formulary.
    Formulary drugs do not require prior authorization.
    http://www.wcb.ny.gov/content/main/h...y/overview.jsp

NY Workers’ Compensation Drug Formulary
    November 5, 2019
    http://www.wcb.ny.gov/drug-formulary...-formulary.pdf

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Default Re: Nysif Formulary

Thanks Tony. As usual a well informed response. It's just hard to believe that meds I have been taking for over thirteen years will be discontinued.