Default Handicap Reimbursement

Hey everyone, I am out of Ohio... I don't know if any of you have been in a situation, such as myself, hopefully someone will be able to help... What does it mean for the injured worker when the employer is granted the Handicap Reimbursement from the BWC. Does that affect my benefits? I've been fighting my case for over 2yrs. I've been paid TTD up until December of 2019. Now I'm just receiving medical treatment for L4-5 disc herniation. My employer's lawyer is saying that I have arthritis from a previous lumbar strain and sprain from 2012. Why would they file that when I'm not receiving any income???

Default Re: Handicap Reimbursement

Coleyoungen
    My employer's lawyer is saying that I have arthritis from a previous lumbar strain and sprain from 2012. Why would they file that when I'm not receiving any income???
    So they can qualify for the reimbursement - they must show the condition existed before the date of injury, this will have no affect on your benefits.

Handicap reimbursement eligibility
    However, the employer must show the handicapped condition pre-existed the date of injury, and that it either caused the claim or contributed to increased costs or a delay in recovery. In addition, BWC must have paid one of the following kinds of compensation in the claim: temporary total, permanent total disability, scheduled loss awards, death benefits or wages in lieu of temporary total compensation (salary continuation).
    https://www.bwc.ohio.gov/downloads/b...f/handicap.pdf

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Thanks for replying back Tony. So if they are granted handicapped reimbursement I can still file for PPT? I'M TRYING TO DO VOCATIONAL REHAB BUT I CAN'T EVEN SWEEP THE FLOOR FOR 10 MINUTES WITHOUT BEING IN SEVERE PAIN.

So if they are granted handicapped reimbursement I can still file for PPT?
    Yes you can still file for PPT, them getting a reimbursement has nothing to do with your right to benefits.
    The purpose of that reimbursement program is to encourage employers to hire the disabled, it doesn't limit benefits to employees.
    You should consult a lawyer at the first sign of problems.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.