Default Irritated with Attorney and WC

I am new to this. I just like to know if anyone else has had this happen or heard of it. My husband was hurt at work 4 yrs. ago. Two surgeries and four other medical problems that were never addressed. He finally got a settlement agreement but was waiting on a MSA to get a lump sum. So his attorney said that if WC doesn't want to finish the MSA the judge can't make them. So now my husband will be getting under 250.00 a week for nine yrs. How can this be allowed? I am just not understanding. We are in so much debt. The lump sum would have helped.

Default Re: Irritated with Attorney and WC

So now my husband will be getting under 250.00 a week for nine yrs. How can this be allowed?
    Unless you're willing to forfeit four years of benefits you won't see a lump sum, they never settle a lump sum for the full value of a claim.
    There's no law mandating they settle for a lump sum, unless it benefits the carrier they may pay out your claim in weekly payments.

The carrier will rarely settle a lump sum for more than five years of benefits, there's no benefit for them to do so.
    They'd just as soon pay out the claim in weekly payments, draw interest on your money and pray you have an early death.
    Sounds like you have an attorney who lacks experience or you demanded too much in a lump sum.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Default Re: Irritated with Attorney and WC

Thank you for giving me a little bit of insight. The attorney said that it would be a lump sum. Of course we didn't know any different. Yes, the attorney we got was terrible.