Default SSDI Dosent Allowtraveling Out of the Country

Just was watching a program on TV and a caller asked why cant you be out of the country more than 30 days?

This is the first Ive ever heard that?.....Man you paid into it.....How would they know if you were out of the country?

Default Re: SSDI Dosent Allowtraveling Out of the Country

SSDI Dosent Allow traveling Out of the Country
    Just was watching a program on TV and a caller asked why cant you be out of the country more than 30 days?
    Thats not true, that's if you receive SSI not SSDI.

Can I keep my benefits if I move out of the U.S.?
    The way your benefits are affected depends on several things, including the type of benefits you receive.
    In most cases, if you receive Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits under your own work record, then you are able to receive your benefits per usual for at least six months after moving outside the U.S., unless you move to a prohibited country.

Under most circumstances, if you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits and leave the U.S., your benefits will stop after 30-days and cannot be reinstated until you return to the U.S.

There are a number of other factors that can impact your benefits. To know exactly what affect your move may have on your disability payments, you should contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 and discuss the situation with them before making a final decision on your move.
    https://www.disability-benefits-help...out-of-the-USA

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Thanks Tony..Its is interesting...But after 6 months it gets questioned?....How would they know your not in the country? I use direct deposit, now Im sure Medicare wouldnt work out of the country?....

I live kinda close to Mexico and have friends with homes and condos down there....

But after 6 months it gets questioned?....How would they know your not in the country?
    They'd eventually figure it out - you would have to do banking in the country you're in - also by not reporting, you stand the risk of losing benefits permanently.
    The odds are you'd get away with it for a while but eventually you'd get busted.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Quote Quoting airdale View Post

This is the first Ive ever heard that?.....Man you paid into it.....How would they know if you were out of the country?

Traveling with SSDI is both an appealing concept and a significant barrier. I, like I'm sure many others, find the concept of not having to dwell in one location and establishing a nomadic existence intriguing.
    I've done some research and want to share what I've discovered. As is customary, the requirements for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) are vastly different (SSI)

Leaving the country on Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)?

So yes, you can leave the Country on SSDI, that's not an issue but there is something which one should keep in their mind that there are few places where the US does not deposit money (for example, North Korea), but for the most part, it is easy to flee to a nation with a cheaper cost of living and stay there if nothing else prevents you.

Please Let us know if you want more information. Thank You!
    Last edited by tony; 03-21-2022 at 08:11 AM.

dsouza321
    Please Let us know if you want more information. Thank You!
    Who are you?

Leaving the country on Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)?
    That's not the way to promote your firm, I disabled that link.
    You should identify yourself when posting statements of fact and add the link to your firm in your signature, not sneak it in a post.
    As far as I know this could be one of your clients or family spamming this forum.

Go to the below link and read "Self-Promotion In The Forum" and start over.
    https://www.workerscompensationinsur...orum-Etiquette

So yes, you can leave the Country on SSDI, that's not an issue
    Maybe, maybe not - you have to be available for a Continuing Disability Review (CDR).

In general, your benefits will continue as long as you still have a disability that prevents you from working. Any person who receives disability benefits must have their medical conditions reviewed. How often we review your medical condition depends on whether your condition is likely to improve.
    We call this review a Continuing Disability Review (CDR).
    https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/disability/work.html

SSDI is a a federal funded program of the United States.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social...s%20government.

Tony